[sixties-l] When Cliche's Die

From: drieux just drieux (drieux@wetware.com)
Date: Sat Mar 24 2001 - 12:13:25 EST

    > on 03/22/2001 17:01, Carrol Cox at cbcox@ilstu.edu wrote:
    [..]
    > This has always been my nomination for the most offensive cliche in the
    > English language. When, pray tell, did America ever have any innocence
    > to lose?
    >
    > A book review in the (National) Guardian in '67 or '68 (I don't remember
    > the book or the reviewer's name) began with (from memory) "Born in the
    > blood of Indians, built on the bones of slaves, fattened on the riches
    > of the entire world, the American experiment should be declared a
    > failure and destroyed to make room for humanity."
    >
    > Carrol

    I fear that these are equally cliche understandings about the world, and
    both deserve the complete lack of respect that went into the failure to
    do a reasonable analysis in the first place.

    Half of the fun of watching the 'sixties bashers' run around and decry
    the HORROR that all those 'liberals' brought about - is their equally
    naive review of the whole process. So classically Agit-Prop as anything
    that the 'red hordes' brought out.

    It was amusing to watch the documentary on 'Dogma95' - the way too cool
    new wave in cinema, that tips its hat to the artistic avante garde of
    the 'sixties' - wrote some 'hard corp' "chastity rules" about how one
    goes about 'really making films' - did their films, won awards, and
    have opted to advocate that people should be at liberty to throw
    away their rules. At least they 'learned' something about 'the sixties'
    and the problems that come with both making rules, and whether or not
    one is obliged to continue to defend them eternally. Or accept that
    when one's own avante gardeness has become the cliche - to take the
    other tack, and not print the legend, but to remember the humanity.

    There is always going to be a 'gap' between the 'public myth' and
    the underlying reality - since the 'public folklore' seeks to retain
    only the parts of the public conscience that they find useful. The current
    ongoing Jihaud between 'purist academic historians' and those meandering
    around in the 'socio-cultural' relevance of 'folklore' is where we can
    watch 'the professionals' try to deal with the 'air gap' - as well as
    their inability to do any better a job at resolving how best to deal
    with the cliche's of culture.

    Show of hands kiddies - but how many folks really remember when the
    hippies had their funeral for the whole Haight-Ashbury thing. Made
    endemically ironic as the 'dot.commies' overran the south of market
    section while the 'hippies' were trying to put on their 30th anniversary
    of the summer of love - and the 'street people' were losing all of
    their cheap living/working spaces to 'technoDweebs' who go to raves
    and listen to 'trance' music....

    The popular myth now is that america went into the last good war to fight
    against the evils of anti-semiticism, only to find itself not too sure how
    appropriate the 1947 movie "Gentleman's Agreement", with Gregory Peck, was
    as the prequel to Black Like Me. But that way leads us into the sorts of
    intellectual cognitive dissonance over such matters as 'the negro seaman
    act' (1822 ) over and against say Connecticut's "Black Laws" of 1833 and
    which was a 'true son of the south' and which was the land of those damn
    carpet bagging yankee's. But would we really want to go mucking around in
    the 'weakening of the abolitionist movement' that was brought about by the
    question of the role of women then, or in the "sixties revival" that would
    'finally' bring the matter squarely to the forefront that it should have
    been the weather underground all along.

    But do we really want to be impolite about the rank amatuer's in the whole
    'sixties revolutionary fashion scene' - and their great dirth of knowledge
    about how to be effective scab labor in a modern low intensity warfare
    theory model? They were kids. They were living out their romantic
    american age of innocence. Just like the current crop is working out
    whether or not they are buying into the eternal bull market of the whole
    new economy craze, and fashion risk.

    In the last four years I have been ranting at 'the freaks' about,

        "We left you a perfectly functioning drug culture,
         what did you do with it?"

    and the bright ones retort,

        "But you didn't properly document the deliverable."

    so another generation gets to figure out how they are going to learn
    how 'free markets' really work as they try to wrap their head around
    the digger's web page, and the NSA's release of their secure Linux OS,
    because of the Gnu Public License requirements, while trying to
    understand if 'stock options' as a core part of their compensation
    packages will really 'pay the rent'....

    And yeah, folks are correct, it's all whitey's fault - even if your
    parent's didn't show up until after the fall of saigon, or the failure
    of the Praha Spring, or that prelude to the last good war, or.... Those
    people oughta pay for the complete failure of the correct age of american
    innocence to be all that it could be....

    Or maybe.....

    Just maybe, things are never going to be simple. Godel's Incompleteness
    theorum does lead to the church-turing hypothesis, and software geeks are
    going to be selling patch kits to the Grand GodelianStringParser long after
    the orignal generation of dweebs, who missed the summer of love, didn't
    notice that we landed on the moon, dodged out on the whole vietnam
    performance art schedule, but did get the first packets to flush between two
    computers, are merely the great legends of our culture, and their pure age
    of innocence has been surpassed by the arrival of the 'adults' into the
    whole computer thing, with their stabalizing influence on the correct
    economic theory.....

    Street Hustler's, Pimps, Drug Pushers.....

    Everybody relearns the old lessons:

        Ass, gas or grass
        no one rides for free

    And like our glorious patriotic american forefathers before them,
    understand that if you can get around puritanical parents to accomplish
    what each new generation learns, and presumes is their own novelty,
    getting around the british/establishment/corporate culture, is just
    so much a walk in the park.

    "A day cometh, and a day goeth,
    and management has a new marketting slogan...."

    Hey Kids, how about:

        "Create the conditions you describe?"

    ciao
    drieux