Re: [sixties-l] Chicago Seven return in play that shows why 60s wont die

From: Carrol Cox (cbcox@ilstu.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 20:01:35 EST

    radman wrote:

    > Chicago Seven return in play that shows why '60s won't die
    >
    > <http://www.sacbee.com:80/news/news/local06_20010320.html>
    >
    > By Denny Walsh
    > Bee Staff Writer
    > (Published March 20, 2001)
    >
    > America lost its innocence.

    This has always been my nomination for the most offensive cliche in the
    English language. When, pray tell, did America ever have any innocence
    to lose?

    A book review in the (National) Guardian in '67 or '68 (I don't remember
    the book or the reviewer's name) began with (from memory) "Born in the
    blood of Indians, built on the bones of slaves, fattened on the riches
    of the entire world, the American experiment should be declared a
    failure and destroyed to make room for humanity."

    Carrol