[sixties-l] U.S. Vets Reunited with Boy They Saved From My Lai

From: radman (resist@best.com)
Date: Sat Mar 17 2001 - 16:39:55 EST

    U.S. Vets Reunited with Boy They Saved From My Lai

    <http://news.excite.com/news/r/010316/13/news-usa-massacre-dc>

    March 16, 2001
    By Rathavary Duong

    MY LAI, Vietnam (Reuters) - Do Ba is now 42, but to Larry Colburn he will
    always be the 9-year-old boy he saved from the most notorious massacre of
    the Vietnam War.
    And to Ba, Colburn will always be a second father.
    Friday, 33 years to the day after a company of U.S. soldiers ran amok in
    the central Vietnamese village of My Lai, killing some 500 people, the two
    shared an emotional day of reunion and remembrance.
    Ba was one of 11 Vietnamese villagers whom Colburnthen 18 -- and two
    crewmates from a U.S. army helicopter risked their lives to save on March
    16, 1968. A search-and-destroy mission by Charlie Company of the Americal
    Division had degenerated into a mass murder of civilians, 123 of them
    children under age 5.
    Colburn, from Canton, Georgia, and pilot Hugh Thompson, from Lafayette,
    Louisiana, were reunited with Do Thursday for the first time since 1968
    when they shared the same flight en route to a commemoration ceremony at My
    Lai.
    "After 33 years of thinking of him every day, it's just extraordinary to
    see him again, truly extraordinary," said Colburn, who was with wife and
    his own 9-year-old son.
    "It's like my own boy, he was the same age as my little boy," he said. "I
    hoped in all those years that he would never remember what happened."
    During the rescue, Thompson landed his helicopter between a group of
    soldiers and the civilians they were about to shoot. He ordered Colburn, a
    door gunner at the time, to open fire on the marauding GIs if the massacre
    continued.
    Colburn said it was crew chief Glenn Andreotta who had got out into a ditch
    to look for survivors in a heap of bodies.
    "Glenn Andreotta went straight to the ditch and handed the boy to me," he
    said. "I held him on my lap until we got to the hospital. I thought he was
    only 4 or 5."
       HEROES IN AMERICA AND VIETNAM
    Andreotta was killed in action three weeks later. Since the war, he,
    Colburn and Thompson have been hailed as heroes in the United States and
    Vietnam.
    Despite Colburn's hopes, Ba, whose mother and two younger sisters were
    killed in the massacre, still remembers clearly.
    "I was terrified," he said. "So I pretended I was dead when a man came and
    picked me up for the first time. But he did the same thing again, a second
    and third time and I thought he was trying to rescue me, so I moved."
    The My Lai veterans came back to the village to inaugurate a Peace Park
    sponsored by the Quakers of Madison, Wisconsin. Together they planted 50
    trees leading to a memorial pagoda.
    Ba hugged Colburn frequently and clasped the hand of his son Connor.
    "I'm sad for all those people who died here, but it feels good to be here,"
    Connor said.
    "Do Ba is like a big brother."
    Connor wants to learn Vietnamese so they can stay in touch.
    Thompson, 25 at the time of the massacre, said he was delighted to see Ba
    again.
    "I feel good to see he's doing well now. I always wondered what became of
    him. I had no idea what became of him after we left him in the hospital."
    The veterans had hoped to be reunited with Ba in 1998, but he was in jail
    at the time for petty theft. He now works as an electrician for a firm in
    Ho Chi Minh City and hopes to take up their invitation to visit the United
    States.
    "I will always be grateful to these two Americans who saved my life," he
    said. "I will remember them for ever. But I still feel hatred for those
    Americans who killed my family."
       POWELL TO VISIT
    Charlie Company's commander, Lt. William Calley, was convicted and
    sentenced to life in jail. However, late U.S. president Richard Nixon
    intervened and he was freed after three years' house arrest.
    "I don't think it's fair," Colburn said. "I think he should face the music.
    It's a facade to appease the American people. It was just facade.
    "The U.S. should not be exempt from war crimes tribunals ... . It's
    important morally and historically."
    Thompson said he hoped Secretary of State Colin Powell, who joined the
    Americal Division in Vietnam after the massacre and is accused of helping
    cover up the first reports, would find some words of atonement during a
    first return visit he is expected to make later this year.
    "I hope that what he will say is personal and not political when he comes,"
    he said.
    Colburn blamed politicians for horrors like My Lai.
    "I think the military were really trying to make the war less horrible," he
    said.
    "War is horrible and it happened on both sides. I think what happened was
    that it was untrained and new people, too ready to engage. Revenge is part
    of war, just like fear."
    Thompson added: "I hope that the Vietnamese people will understand that not
    everybody was crazy that day."