Re: [sixties-l] Provocative, and Proud of It by David Horowtiz

From: Sorrento95@aol.com
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 11:59:54 EST

    In a message dated Thu, 15 Mar 2001 1:14:30 AM Eastern Standard Time, monkerud <monkerud@scruznet.com> writes:

    << Let's keep the perspective ... as in who paid for this ad? It was not
    Horowitz but his backers... the Nazis ran ads in newspapers I'm sure. I'm
    sure the liberals jumped to the tune of free speech at the time....

      The Nazis were doing more than running ads in
      newspapers. Under the leadership of Storm
      Trooper boss Ernst Roehm, they organized gangs
      of thugs to attack and silence their opponents
      in the street.

      Since in a recent post I "came down on the
      side of free speech," for such people as the
      the dreaded Horowitz, there is a need for
      clarification.

      My general principle was that all viewpoints
      ought to have equal access to taxpayer supported
      venues. Does anyone disagree with that? Am
      I "jumping" to high to the tune of free speech
      by embracing this principle?

      I assumed that the University of California
      student newspaper enjoys some taxpayer support.
      On the other hand, if the paper is completely
      independent of public funds and does not enjoy
      use of public buildings, then they have the
      right to decline advertising from whomever they
      please.

      ~ Michael Wright
        Norman, Oklahoma