[sixties-l] Free speech issues

From: monkerud (monkerud@scruznet.com)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2001 - 13:36:07 EST

    Because as a practical matter destroying newspapers so others won't read
    them and thus become "contaminated" by ideas, doesn't work, putting
    pressure on a newspaper not to run reactionary ads is done all the time in
    the US.

    While I agree with Michael that confiscating and burning newspapers reminds
    the public of the Nazis, I disagree that protesting racist and/or
    reactionary ads in college newspapers is a "right."

    Reactionary papers refuse ads and article from progressive forces all the
    time. This is not to say that it's morally right because they do it, but to
    say this is the way business is conducted.

    Protesting against the acceptance of such ads, boycotting the papers, etc.
    is a form of free speech that I support. But there may be legal issues ...
    does anyone have any knowledge of this? I don't believe the UC/B paper is
    run by the university? If it's run as a business, then it's fair game.

    This is politics, and basing politics on morality gets to be a touchy
    issue. I know people around here want to let the opposition into our
    meetings because they want to be seen as open and democratic, a moral
    stance, but the developers we fight don't let us into their meetings. Let's
    not make our job harder by creating moral pretzels.

    best, Don Monkerud