Re: [sixties-l] Ad Nauseam - (Horowitz ad)

From: William M. Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Mar 10 2001 - 02:27:43 EST

    The Genocide Convention, to which the U.S. is a signatory, was drawn up in 1948
    primarily by Western lawyers after World War II, because the USSR was then the
    only Communist country involved.
        It reads: "Article II: In the present Convention, genocide means ANY [my
    emphasis throughout - W.M.] of the following acts committed with intent to
    destroy, in whole or IN PART, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group,
    as such:
        (a) Killing MEMBERS of the group;
        (b) Causing serious bodily or MENTAL HARM to MEMBERS of the grou;
        (c) Deliberately inflictig on the group CONDITIONS OF LIFE calculated to
    bring about its physical destruction in whole OR IN PART;
        (d) Imposing measures intended to PREVENT BIRTHS within the group;
        (e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group."
    Article III:
    "The following acts shall be punishable:
        (a) Genocide;
        (b) Conspiracy to commit genocide."
       The drafters found it impossible to draw a line between the anti-Semitic
    screeds published in Streicher's Der Stuermer and the actual performance of the
    acts it called for. That crime is defined in the next point:
        "(c) DIRECT AND PUBLIC INCITEMENT TO COMMIT GENOCIDE", which has just been
    defined (Article II) as not only mass extermination as in death camps, but the
    killing or the doing of serious bodily or mental harm to any member of the
    defined group because of membership in that group. This is why the advocacy of
    Nazism or even denial of the Holocaust is a crime in Denmark, Germany, and a
    number of other countries that experienced the consequences of untrammeled
    racist propaganda.
        (d) Attempt to commit genocide;
        (e) complicity in genocide."
        So world experience in World War II, and a great deal since on every
    continent, is contrary to Maass' argument regarding the Horowitz ad or the other
    instances he mentions. I would add that he has Yugoslavia ass backward. There
    was no genocide in Yugoslavia in Tito's time because he prevented such
    propaganda. That was equally true in the Soviet Union, including Stalin's time.
    In the latter case, the effects continue, with the exception of Chechnya. After
    thirty years of "save the poor Soviet Jews" and, while you're at it, save the
    Crimean Tatars too, the decade of post-Soviet chaos has brought no single case
    of the killing of a Jew or a Tatar because of membership in those nationalities,
    while the level of non-lethal hate crimes is one we might envy.
                                                        William Mandel

    --
    ^Q^Z