Re: [sixties-l] Rebels with a Cause

From: John Johnson (change@pacbell.net)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 19:16:44 EST

    I have also seen the film and was going to write a review for our newspaper
    Change Links but I didn't get the tape in time.

    I find myself in basic agreement with this article. Though at almost 2
    hours maybe we are both thinking of another film. And I much appreciate
    Helen Gravey for taking on the task of doing it. It did portray a spirit
    of the times and did give a good history of SDS, until late1968.

    More was not mentioned. SDS 's work with labor, within the military, with
    the Black Panthers, its international relationships with European groups,
    Vietnamese groups, etc.
    It mentioned the program to move from protest to resistance, but we also
    moved from resistance to revolution or at least a revolutionary philosophy.

    A bit of psychosis had infiltrated the movement in 1969. One that would
    led to the Weathermen, to the various Marxist Leninist sect groups, to the
    extremes of the feminist movements, etc.

    Also as the article here states many of us were not that phased by the
    break up of the SDS national office. (though we did later regret that).
    SDS's strength was never in its organization but in its ability to teach,
    to get other groups and communities organized so they could continue on
    themselves. And many of those people and efforts continued on and
    still are. Many people in the film themselves have continued to be
    activists.

    John Johnson
    Change-Links Progressive Newspaper
    change@pacbell.net or change-links@change-links.org