[sixties-l] Re: The Other Dr. King

From: Ted Morgan (epm2@lehigh.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 11:15:12 EST

    I appreciate Stonewall's personal reminiscence about Martin Luther King's
    speech on the war. However, I think there was "something different" about
    the public response to this speech (as opposed to the long-term current of
    red-baiting, etc. that was widespread before). This dismissal of King came
    from the heart of the "liberal establishment" that was "on his side" on
    civil rights --Johnson administration people (most blatantly, Roche, who
    shall live in infamy), the New York Times, the Washington Post, etc.
    [Compare their treatment of his Vietnam speech, for example, with his "I
    have a Dream" speech.]

    This is one of the real good examples in the 1960s of the "ideological
    boundaries" of the mass media system & public discourse at work --i.e.,
    positions which are system-critical lie 'outside' the bounds of legitimate
    discourse, whereas those that are critical of particular actors of subsets
    of the system are perfectly legitimate (e.g., civil rights & the attack on
    Southern apartheid vs. the grass-roots effort to confront systemic urban
    (and other) poverty linked to the political economy & local power
    structures; or the Vietnam War as "not working" (legitimate and fully
    visible as part of the mainstream debate in the media and halls of Congress)
    vs. as "US assault on SE Asian nation" (illegitimate and missing from the
    mainstream media).

    One of the impacts of this 'closed' system of discourse, I argue in the book
    I'm working on, is that is pushes "outsiders" in the direction of letting
    their "actions" speak for them --i.e, increasing militance, which becomes
    defined by the media as "radical" when in fact it may not be, etc. Thus
    --for this and many other reasons (! repression by police/govt.; the
    continuing obscene war, etc.)-- the trajectory of the1960s, new left,
    antiwar movement, etc.

    These boundaries continue to hold fast (see just about any foreign policy
    intervention, globalizing capitalism, etc.), while the fixation with
    dramatic action & visuals and the co-optive portrayal of "dissent" and
    "rebellion" throughout the consumer culture are both more pervasive. With
    huge implications for the possibilities of effective democratic mobilization
    today.

    Ted Morgan

    --
    Ted Morgan