[sixties-l] New Website to Document CIA on Campus

From: radman (resist@best.com)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2001 - 01:48:26 EST

    radman pull quote:
    "Ask your campus librarian or archivist if they
    remember any articles on this topic. If you find something, let us know.
    Regardless of how old it is, if it's substantive and relevant then it
    belongs on this site."
    New Website to Document CIA on Campus

    Via NY Transfer News * All the News That Doesn't Fit

    February 14, 2001

    NEW WEBSITE INAUGURATED TO DOCUMENT CIA ACTIVITIES ON CAMPUS

    Public Information Research (PIR) has inaugurated a new website on NY
    Transfer's servers to document the activities of the CIA on colleges
    and universities: www.cia-on-campus.org.

    Public Information Research, a non-profit research organization, is well
    known to scholars, activists and spy-watchers worldwide for its NameBase
    database and website at www.pir.org. Namebase is a unique repository of
    historical information and commentary on the interlocking web of the power
    elite.

    Public Information Research is inviting contributions to their new site. The
    following is from PIR's announcement of www.cia-on-campus.org:

                                 CIA-ON-CAMPUS.ORG

    During the 1970s and 1980s, we collected a fair amount of material about the
    CIA on campus. The movement peaked in 1969, 1977, and 1987, but by 1993 had
    subsided. Unfortunately, this was several years too early for the Internet,
    and almost all of the material we collected exists only on paper. Some of
    it is turning yellow by now.

    It amazed us that we found so little online about this topic. PIR feels that
    past efforts need to be preserved and made available. Our current collection
    of material is a good place to start. We plan to contact the authors of this
    material, and request permission to digitize their articles and post them on
    this site. We've worked with many of these authors in the past. One major
    focus of this site, therefore, will be historical preservation.

    Another purpose will be to encourage further research and contributions from
    faculty and students, whether signed or anonymous. We will use separate
    directories for all campus-specific content, and someday those coming into
    the site from an ".edu" domain will automatically start with the material
    that is most relevant to them. If we don't have anything about their campus,
    then they will land on a generic page. While navigation across the entire
    site will always be available, this redirection feature should encourage
    students and faculty to contribute material, or to design pages for their
    campus. (Any new material will be subject to fact-checking and editing by
    us before we post it, and we like simple pages with no more than a handful
    of GIFs.)

    Cia on Campus is still in its infancy; we expect to be developing the site
    for at least a year. So drop us a line if you have any ideas. (Just send
    e-mail to: info@cia-on-campus.org) With your help, we can get this site up
    to speed more quickly. Ask your campus librarian or archivist if they
    remember any articles on this topic. If you find something, let us know.
    Regardless of how old it is, if it's substantive and relevant then it
    belongs on this site. You can help us further by securing permission for us
    to post it, and/or transcribing it into digital form for us. --Public
    Information Research

    Visit the CIA on Campus website at: http://www.cia-on-campus.org, or just
    click on "CIA on Campus" from NY Transfer's homepage at www. blythe. org

    Contact us at: info@cia-on-campus.org

       NY Transfer News Collective * A Service of Blythe Systems
                 Since 1985 - Information for the Rest of Us
                     339 Lafayette St., New York, NY 10012
       http://www.blythe.org e-mail: nyt@blythe.org