Re: [sixties-l] re: sex rev afterthoughts

From: Marty Jezer (mjez@sover.net)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 11:06:57 EST

    I should probably subtitle this subject-heading "shameless self-promotion."

    Abbie Hoffman once said (with a smile) "there couldn't have been the sixties if we hadn't had the fifties." For a neat overview of why the sixties sexual revolution had to happen, read my "Dark Ages: Life in the USA, 1945-1960" (South End Press).

    Chapters ten and eleven deal with family life and growing up in the postwar era. There is a neat little section on the "horny fifties," as well as sections on "rocks and greasers," "anti-feminism," and the first stirrings of the feminist movement." I cover dating and making out, DA haircuts, and quote publications aimed at teenage girls.

    Marty Jezer

    Stuttering: A Life Bound Up in Words
    Abbie Hoffman: American Rebel
    Rachel Carson: Author, Biologist
    The Dark Ages: Life in the USA, 1945-1960

    Visit my web site http://www.sover.net/~mjez
    Subscribe to my Friday commentary (by reply e-mail). It's free!