Re: [sixties-l] after-afterthoughts

From: Ted Morgan (epm2@lehigh.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 16:40:16 EST

    Hi Charlotte,

    Thanks for sending me the list --it's great! And, how daring of you to be interviewed
    re. sexual practices in the 60s :>) --I know what you mean about not revealing all,
    though. Drugs seem to be the area my students are most curious about re.
    counterculture. Perhaps sexuality is even more daring! But I also don't spend a lot
    of time on the counterculture per se in my class --about a week & a half-- One thing I
    do is play a tape of very short excerpts from about 25-30 counterculture-era rock
    songs, asking them to listen for the feelings being expressed in the lyrics, then we
    talk together about what they come up with. It ends up providing interesting insights
    into the subjective feelings of being young at that time.

    I haven't done alot with the sexual experimentation that went on in the 60s in my own
    work, except for part of a chapter I wrote on the counterculture in my book (The
    Sixties Experience --Temple U.). But I'm now working on a book project (that's kind of
    overwhelming me with how ambitious it is!) on how the media culture interacted with 60s
    movements, helping to shape the trajectory of the decade and produce a set of images &
    texts now (well, for the last 25 years) commonly used to discredit the 60s, or at best
    'sell' them to young people (or nostagic oldies) today.... So, your stuff on movies'
    treatment fits my interest nicely, though your specific focus, on sexuality, etc. is
    narrower than mine.

    Interesting stuff. I'd be interested in reading something you've done in this latter
    area.
    Do you know Benjamin DeMott's new book (I just saw review in NYT) on something like the
    "masculinization" of women (not his words, I just can't remember) -basically how the
    culture has distorted feminism into something akin to behaving in an aggressive,
    'masculine' manner ?

    Best,

    Ted
    (holed up as about 12-15 inches of snow fall outside!)