[sixties-l] phil ochs updated

From: Ron Jacobs (rjacobs@zoo.uvm.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2001 - 10:59:55 EST

    And now for something completely different....

    Original words and music by Phil Ochs
    new words - c - 2001 - L.A.Hazard

    I wept when I heard that a logger
    had coldly killed young David Chain
    When they murdered young Matthew Shepard
    I cried out "My god it's insane"
    But Mumia was a Black Panther
    He's no one but himself to blame..
    Love me, love me, love me, I'm a liberal

    I go to the permitted rallies
    I put down the W T O
    I boycott the Gap, Wal-Mart and Nike
    I believe all sweatshops must go
    But don't talk about smashing out windows
    or lock downs - else I'll be a no show...
    Love me, Love me, Love me, I'm a liberal

    I cheered when the Greens got together
    my hope in new options reflamed
    I'm glad that the Demos were nervous
    they'll return to the left I proclaimed
    but then Al lost the election
    those damn Naderites are to blame
    love me, love me, love me, I'm a liberal

    I read the Progressive and Nation
    Mother Jones, In These Times and Z
    Earth First, the Baffler and EXTRA
    and one or two others or three
    But for rational common sense thinking
    it's the New York Times for me
    Love me, Love me, Love me, I'm a Liberal

    I faithfully email my senators
    on issues that are bothering me
    I belong to NOW and SIERRA
    AFL-CIO, FOE
    And though I'd gladly'd have danced with Emma
    the Black Bloc don't deserve to go free
    Love me, Love me, Love me, I'm a liberal

    I've been to a couple RAGE concerts
    That Zack's a hell of a guy
    I almost voted for Nader
    Thank god I saw through that lie
    Yes, I'll sign your petition and statement
    But don't ask for my ass on the line
    Love me, Love me, Love me, I'm a liberal

    The CEO's of corporations
    should hang their heads down in shame
    I can't understand how their minds work
    Don't they read Chomsky, Zinn or McCain?
    Still if you ask me to divest my holdings
    I hope the cops take down your name
    love me, love me, love me, I'm a liberal

    Though most know it's best to keep quiet
    I've friends who are openly gay
    and I've friends of African Heritage
    Who agree that boy Tiger can play
    And I've friends from south of the border
    They come clean my house everyday
    Love me, Love me, Love me - I'm a Liberal

    Here's a toast to the memory of Gandhi
    Chavez and the good Dr. King
    And here's to the memory of Malcolm
    Since he's dead - praising him risks nothing
    But that damned ski masked fool in Chiapas
    might still yet ruin everything
    love me, love me, love me, I'm a liberal

    Yes I feel your pain and your anger
    the frustrations raging within
    When I see you all march with your puppets
    you're so young and impulsive I grin
    So I hope when you're older and wiser
    you'll understand why I'm turning you in
    love me, love me, love me, I'm a liberal