[sixties-l] The First Human Be-In, January 14, 1967

From: radman (resist@best.com)
Date: Sat Jan 27 2001 - 18:26:50 EST

    The First Human Be-In, January 14, 1967; learn all about it here:

    http://www.kkup.com/changes.html

    ----
    This is an excerpt from an essay that Elizabeth wrote, published in
    Psychedelic Illuminations
    Magazine. It is included in Scrapbook of a Haight Ashbury Pilgrim by
    Elizabeth Gips.
    -
      The first great recognition of how many of us there
    really were sharing this mystical, wordless and
    magnificent experience of the Rainbow Heart, the
    infinitely manifest, the wonder and magic of
    being-ness beyond the individual ego, was the First
    Human Be-In, January 14, 1967. It was not the speeches
    of Ginsburg, Suzuki Roshi, Leary and the other
    speakers on the platform or even the music that
    touched us with mystic wonder. The wires were cut, and
    for a long while there were no speeches, no music.
    Only the murmur of 25,000 people, most of them on LSD,
    grooving with each other, with the sunshine which had
    come in the midst of a rainy month, and with the
    manifest presence of Spirit.

    It was so quiet. Women in lace table cloths, long dresses of oriental fabric, fantasies from every age and place moved gracefully through the silent crowd. Men in pied patterns smiled at the sky. The Diggers gave out turkey sandwiches. Everybody shared marijuana, apples, LSD and love. We knew that we were witnessing a massive blossoming of a new religion in the literal sense of being tied together again. This religion would never have churches or temples; this was a religion based on individual freedom and respect; we "dug each others vibes" and felt the coming together of an ancient family. Time dwindled to a no-point. Heart reached to heart in an almost soundless outpouring of love.

    So when the music and the speeches started, when the mantra and the rock resounded, it was an ecstatic exclamation point on a massive experience. Call it heaven or samadhi; it set the parameters for a whole movement during the Summer of Love. Through the catalyst of LSD we had scratched through the surface of our separateness and recognized ourselves, our surroundings, all things as One. That afternoon, we truly became The Love Generation.