Re: [sixties-l] Vermont communes

From: robert (houriet@plainfield.bypass.com)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2001 - 17:48:22 EST

    Re SNCC people in Vermont communes, a group including Casey Hayden and
    others, came up to live at the Hugg's Family near Bennington. 1966? It was
    levelled in a fire started by a vietnam vet who went beserk with a
    flamethrower.

    Another place for SNCC people was an obscure commune in New Haven, I
    believe, called Toad Hall.

    You can get some of this background in a recent book, "Deep in Our Hearts:
    Nine White Women in the Southern Freedom Movement." (2000, University of
    Georgia Press.)

    Three of the contributors have long standing Vermont connections and live
    here, Penny Patch in Lyndonville, Theresa Del Pozzo, Bennington, and Emmie
    Schroeder Adams, Barnet.

    I'm working on a review and will post it here soon.

    Robert Houriet
    Getting Back Together (1971) covers some of this background. But generally
    most commentators on communal history history -- see Tim Miller's
    comprehensive book just out - ignore the pre-figurative influence of
    freedom houses on many communes that got started mostly in the east, and
    didn't get all the glitzy media attention from journalists like me. And
    didn't want it.