[sixties-l] Re: [change-links] Will the real Jeff Blankfort...?

From: William M. Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jan 19 2001 - 22:57:45 EST

    What a tiny world! So Allen Zak knows both Jeff Blankfort and myself from before
    we knew each other. If his memory of the year of my Ohio State adventure is
    slightly off, the story itself is fun enough to be worth retelling. And since this
    is a restful Friday evening at home after a long hike in the Oakland hills, I'll
    simply copy it from Saying No To Power:
        "From the English Department of Ohio State University I received [in 1961,
    Allen] an invitation to speak at a showing of the film [Operation Abolition, about
    the 1960 HUAC hearing in San Francisco, presenting HUAC's point of view: the
    demonstrating students 'were toying with treason'] and comment on it. It was
    signed with a most marvelous name, Henry Orion St. Onge. From its style I picture
    a white-haired Yankee who looked like Emerson. When I arrived I learned that the
    reason he had invited me was because of my use of the English language in my
    testimony. The tape was, in fact, used in numerous English, Speech, and Rhetoric
    classes across the country for years. St. Onge turned out to be a brand-new Ph.D.
    in his mid-30s, but I was right about where he came from: New England but of
    French-Canadian workingclass origins.
        "Opposition by the John Birch Society, the most influential nationwide
    far-Right organization of that period, caused the university president to withdraw
    permission for my appearance. There was much faculty support for St. Onge. When
    the Birchers tried to put the governor of Ohio on the spot over this in a press
    conference, he responded in a way that hadn't been heard in 15 years. He said he
    thought the students were mature enough to make their own judgment on what the
    speaker would say.
        "As it turned out, I spoke in St. Onge's back yard, from his kitchen steps, to
    an audience in which plainclothes types equalled students in numbers. He had
    posted a sign above his steps: 'The Thomas Tusser Society Presents William
    Mandel.' Afteward I asked him who Thomas Tusser was. A 16th-century English
    pastoral poet. And what was the Thomas Tusser Society? Well, in the cafeteria one
    day he had rejoiced at discovering one other grad student in English who had heard
    the name, so their coffee klatches thereafter had been dubbed the T.T.Society.
    Since I had been denied any kind of official sponsorship by the university, and
    was, he said, 'in the classical English tradition of verbal utterance' (I made a
    note of that!), I deserved to be presented by the T.T.S. And besides, finding out
    who T.T. was would give the Birchers and the FBI something to do. Subsequently he
    had someone who could do fine calligraphy make me a 'certificate of honor' from
    the T.T.S.!
        "That evening I had an indoor lecture at the Columbus Unitarian Church, so
    packed by students, eight hundred or so, that they were quite literally hanging
    into the windows. The ruckus over my appearance went on daily in the student
    newspaper for a month thereafter. The faculty senate was still dealing with its
    aftermath a year later. In retrospect it occurs to me that the ongoing debate
    among Ohio State students can only be explained by the times. Educated youth felt
    it had to face its conscience and convictions. Up to then, anti-communism as
    presented by the House Un-American Activities Committee and the FBI had been the
    holy writ upon which their schooling in civics and government had stood. And now
    they were grappling with the possibility that the king was naked.
        "My Ohio State contretemps became an early part of the history of student
    activism in the '60s. It was described in an article in Atlantic Monthly, later in
    an Atlantic book, also in a paperback on the John Birch Society. St. Onge was
    fired from a teaching job at a Nebraska university for which he had received a
    contract just before the incident. The matter went to the American Association of
    University Professors, which published a long report in its journal three years
    after the event, censuring Nebraska's Wayne State and compelling it to reinstate
    the cotnract or reimburse him. Meanwhile, St. Onge, out of work, took his family
    to New Zealand to be out of the way of the H-bomb war he and a very large
    perecentage of Americans expected. I did not. His wife, a folk singer, wrote me
    from there that the Kiwis were as dull as the sheep that covered the hills. Not
    the New Zealanders I knew a generation later. The Ohio State incicent was also
    treated in the 1970 book, Foster and Long's Protest! Student Activism in America.
    Fourteen years later, I woman living a block from us [in Berkeley] brought over a
    visiting high school teacher from Seattle who had attended Ohio State in 1961. Our
    neighbor had told him beforehand that I lived nearby and he had carried down
    photographs of me speaking from St. Onge's back porch, and said I had affected his
    life ever since. I said nothing new on that occasion, so this must have been the
    first time he encountered the ideas I was expressing, or at least in a fashion
    that got through to him.
        "St. Onge was not the only academic to lose his job for sponsoring
    me...."(pp.378-80)