[sixties-l] Daley promises police wont hurry into spying

From: radman (resist@best.com)
Date: 01/13/01

    Daley promises police won't hurry into spying

    <http://www.suntimes.com:80/output/news/red13.html>

    January 13, 2001
    BY FRAN SPIELMAN CITY HALL REPORTER

    The Chicago Police Department will proceed with caution before taking
    advantage of relaxed federal restrictions on police spying to preserve
    First Amendment rights and assuage those "paranoid" about a return to the
    infamous Red Squad days, Mayor Daley said Friday.
    "We're not going into [anybody's] bedroom. We're not going into any living
    room.  Nobody's doing that in society. . . . What we're asking for is, how
    do you protect society? How do you protect the city of Chicago?" Daley said.
    Under the current restrictions, hate groups like that of Benjamin Smith,
    who murdered Northwestern University basketball coach Ricky Byrdsong, could
    hold a convention here and police would be powerless to monitor it, the
    mayor said.
    "No one can give us information about a hate group that's going to be on
    your block preaching hate in front of your home because you're black,
    Hispanic, Asian, a Jew or an Arab. We can't even protect the people of that
    community until they throw the brick through your house, until they shoot
    your father and mother or try to destroy your home," Daley said.
    Police Supt. Terry Hillard said he would "go even slower" than his
    implementation of the gang loitering ordinance to make certain police
    officers are fully trained and mindful of First Amendment rights.
    "This is a magnificent tool. Terrorism goes in cycles. The cycle is coming
    back, and not from abroad but from within. We'll go even slower to make
    sure that we're constitutionally sensitive and that we live by what the
    judge gave us," Hillard said.
    Promises of a go-slow approach were not enough to allay the fears of Rep.
    Bobby Rush (D-Ill.), who was a victim of police spying during his days as
    deputy defense minister for the Illinois chapter of the Black Panther Party.
    "I'm quite uncomfortable with it. Unless there are some guarantees against
    abuse by the police agencies, we might have a return to the time of the
    '60s when police were in fact spying on American citizens," Rush told
    reporters after the city's annual breakfast honoring the Rev. Martin Luther
    King Jr.
    "Certainly Dr. King was spied on. I was spied on. There were many, many
    others who were [politically] active in those days who really viewed police
    agencies across the country as being a force that was opposed to them, and
    they were using illegal tactics and unconstitutional methods to spy on us
    and damage our character."
    The 7th Circuit Court of Appeals agreed Thursday to modify a 1981 consent
    decree that had reined in the notorious Red Squad, accused of spying on
    political dissidents.
    Although the constraints are being loosened, the consent decree is not
    being scrapped.
    Chicago Police still won't be permitted to gather intelligence for purposes
    of harassing, intimidating or prohibiting activities protected by the First
    Amendment. And the Police Department will continue to be subject to annual
    court-monitored audits.
    Daley said those who fear a return of the Red Squad days are "paranoid from
    1960."
    Hillard has asked his staff to put a committee together to determine how
    internal orders and procedures should be re-written to comply with the
    relaxed requirements.