[sixties-l] The Election-I'm-Fixin'-To-Buy Rag

From: radman (resist@best.com)
Date: 01/12/01

    The Election-I'm-Fixin'-To-Buy Rag

    <http://www.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=17921>

    From: <jassykes@u.washington.edu>

    Summary:A parody -- or perhaps updated version -- of Country Joe's
    I'm-Fixin-To-Die Rag

    Sung to the tune of (and with apologies to) Country Joe McDonald and The
    Fish's "I'm-Fixin-To-Die Rag".

    Now c'mon Kathleen Harris, friend
    Your boss Jeb needs your help again
    Even if it makes you shiver
    Florida's HIS state, you must deliver
    So stop the counting once Dubya's won
    Now we're gonna have a whole lot of fun

    And it's One, Two, Three
    Who are you voting for?
    Whatever it don't mean a damn
    'Specially if you're black, poor, or Mexican

    And it's Five, Six, Seven
    Hurry up and incorporate
    There ain't no time to wonder why --
    Whoopee! Got a democracy to buy

    Now c'mon Wall Street don't be slow
    This is tax dodge a go go
    There's plenty of profit to be sewn
    Supplying the Parties with those short-term "loans"
    So while social spending just might get cut
    Corporate welfare's something they'll never gut

    And it's One, Two, Three
    Who are you voting for?
    Whatever it don't mean a damn
    Democrat or Republican

    And it's Five, Six, Seven
    Hurry up and incorporate
    There ain't no time to wonder why --
    Whoopee! Got a democracy to buy

    So c'mon PAC's now let's move fast
    You're big chance is here at last!
    Now you can go out and spend a lot
    'Cause the only good Congressman is one who's bought
    And special interest laws can only pass
    When the rest of us take it up the ass

    And it's One, Two, Three
    Who are we voting for?
    Whatever it don't mean a damn
    Might as well be the Son of Sam

    And it's Five, Six, Seven
    Hurry up and incorporate
    There ain't no time to wonder why --
    Whoopee! Got a democracy to buy

    Now just be patient and understand
    There's a dollar sign on ol' Uncle $am
    Cause money is speech and speech is money
    And the pundits think it's too damn funny
    So be the first one on your block
    To have your voting rights soldout to Fox

    And it's One, Two, Three
    What are we voting for?
    Don't ask us, we don' give a damn
    We know this whole thing's a sham