[sixties-l] Hoffmans Son Settles Movie Suit

From: radman (resist@best.com)
Date: 01/09/01

    Hoffman's Son Settles Movie Suit

    <http://news.findlaw.com/ap/e/1402/1-9-2001/20010109125030870.html>

    01/09/01
    LOS ANGELES (AP) _ The son of the late Abbie Hoffman has settled a lawsuit
    that claimed he was portrayed as "wimpy" in the film "Steal This Movie!"
    America Hoffman dropped his lawsuit against Lions Gate Films, Abbie!
    Productions and producer-director Robert Greenwald. In a statement released
    Monday, Hoffman and the defendants announced they have "amicably" resolved
    the dispute.
    Terms and conditions of the settlement were not disclosed.
    The suit alleged invasion of privacy and use of america Hoffman's name and
    likeness without consent. It sought unspecified damages.
    "Steal This Movie!" which opened last fall, starred Vincent D'Onofrio as
    Abbie Hoffman. It traced the Yippie prankster's 1960s activism.
    The lawsuit, filed in Superior Court in August, claimed the movie falsely
    portrayed Hoffman's son as "a wimpy, quiet, sulking and effeminate 'mama's
    boy"" and implied he might be gay.
    The movie inaccurately portrayed the relationship between father and son,
    according to the suit.
    "I understand that the filmmaker's characterization of me and my
    relationship to my father was made in good faith and with honorable
    intentions," america Hoffman said in a statement after dropping the suit.
    Abbie Hoffman was a member of the Chicago Seven, who staged a protest
    during the 1968 Democratic National Convention which led to violence and
    arrests. He overdosed on alcohol and pills in 1989 at age 52.
    ---
    AP-NY-01-09-01 0803EST