[sixties-l] The radicalism of youth

From: radman (resist@best.com)
Date: 01/09/01

    The radicalism of youth

    <http://slate.msn.com/InterNatPapers/01-01-08/InterNatPapers.asp>

    Is it too soon to add this to German Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer's rap
    sheet?
    The former student radical, who acknowledged last week that 1973
    photographs showing him beating a cop were authentic (the photos can be
    seen here,
    <http://www.faz.com/IN/INtemplates/eFAZ/archive.asp?doc={6F9B4A4B-E3D2-11D4-B99E-009027BA226C}>
    courtesy of the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung), has now been confronted
    about his possible involvement in a more serious attack on a policeman.
    Britain's Sunday Times reported that Fischer was arrested in May 1976 on
    suspicion of attempted murder after demonstrators threw a Molotov cocktail
    into a car, severely burning a police officer, and that some police files
    on the minister's activist years have disappeared from their archives.
    While Fischer is embarrassed by the revelations from his radical youth, in
    Britain two prominent members of the Labor government are parading their
    activist histories with pride. Writing in the Guardian, Foreign Office
    minister Peter Hain, who was a militant anti-apartheid crusader in the
    1970s, invoked his past
    <http://www.guardianunlimited.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,418441,00.html> to
    justify his current campaign to maintain sanctions against Iraq:
    "They simply want us to abandon Saddam's victims to their fate.  This
    sounds to me like the kind of appeasement of oppression I fought against in
    my anti-apartheid days and am fighting against today in my opposition to
    Saddam Hussein's brutality." In the Sunday Times, Britain's first black
    government minister, Paul Boateng, who "made his name as a fiery critic of
    the police and legal adviser to the campaign against black youths being
    stopped and searched on the streets" in the 1970s, admitted
    <http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2001/01/07/stirevnws02006.html>
    that "political pragmatism" has now altered many of his earlier beliefs.
    "If people choose to characterise one as a turncoat," he said, "so be it."