Re: [sixties-l] Re: coup coup coup

From: William M. Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: 12/22/00

    State terror is not what distinguishes fascism for, as you point out, the former
    can exist in many forms. Fascism is the willingness of citizens (Brown Shirts,
    Black Shirts [fascisti], Falange, Cross and Arrow) to deprive citizens holding
    other opinions of their civil liberties by force, stimulated by unbounded populist
    demagogy by the fascist leaders. My definition excludes, say, the Ku Klux Klan,
    because it was focused not on civil liberties but on race and religion (Blacks,
    Jews, Catholics). Fascism may, of course, include racist components, as
    particularly in Germany, but it is the civil liberties aspect that is universal.
                                        William Mandel