Re: [sixties-l] Bedtime for Democracy

From: Mark Bunster (mbunster@saturn.vcu.edu)
Date: 12/20/00

    >Ted Morgan wrote:
    >
    >The electoral college's "over-ruling" of the popular "majority" vote
    >pales by comparison with the fact that the real flesh & blood majority
    >don't vote as a rule, with the primary reason for this being that they
    >see nothing to "vote for" --i.e., non-voting is, in effect, a rational
    >act on their part.
    >
    >JW reply:
    >
    >The rational decision not to vote is a decision to let others make the
    >decisions.  The silent majority does not count, whether it be your's or
    >Richard Nixon's.  Rather than saying someone has no majority support
    >because most people did not vote, I would say that they have support
    >because most people did not vote against them. (Either way in Bush's
    >case he would have no majority support)

    As George Carlin says (surely paraphrased) , "I didn't vote. I have a right
    to complain. People will tell you if you didn't vote, you can't complain.
    Well I didn't vote for the guy YOU'RE complaining about, so what did I do
    wrong? You're the one that participated in the process that got you THAT
    guy. I had nothing to do with it."