[sixties-l] Netanyahu protest -- letters to the editor

From: radman (resist@best.com)
Date: 12/18/00

    Letters to the Editor

    <http://www.Interweavers.com/berkeley/opinion_article.cfm?issue=12-18-00&storyID=2790>

    Nov. 29 protesters were intolerant
    Editor:
    On Wednesday evening, Nov. 29, I held a ticket to hear Mr. Netanyahu speak
    at the Berkeley Community Theater. To my chagrin, my constitutional right
    to listen to whomever I please was taken away from me by that rabble who
    held placards and shouted their cliches: that Israel was racist, fascist,
    nazi, etc.
    Where were the police to protect us? Where were the police to take us
    safely into the auditorium? They could have cautioned the protesters to
    make way for us to go into the yard and into the building.
    I really resent that the police made no effort to help us. I want a formal
    inquiry into this situation. This should not happen again. As a matter of
    fact, the city of Berkeley should apologize to the event organizer and Mr.
    Netanyahu.
    The intolerance of the protesters obliterated our first amendment and our
    constitution.
    Thalia Broudy
    Berkeley

    Wouldn't let Hitler speak
    Editor
    Regarding Shirley Dean's and a large number of others' insistence that we
    trampled their and our purported free speech rights by resisting
    Netanyahu's appearance: We, hopefully, wouldn't let Hitler speak here, either.
    I hope we'd have done the same if Kissinger had appeared, given his
    insistence that nations of people need to be murdered, and the excuse that
    he can say it because he's a Jew.
    Norma J F Harrison
    Berkeley

    What if the shoe were on the other foot?
    Editor:
    I suggest someone invite the historian David Irving of London to the
    Berkeley Community Theater to talk. He seems to invoke the same strength of
    feeling as Netanyahu but he's on the other side of the fence. Let's then
    see how the free speech community, the ADL, and the various local groups
    react.
    Wray Buntine
    Berkeley

    We are all responsible for our words
    Editor:
    In my view, the Netanyahu in Berkeley incident had very little to do with
    free speech and much more to do with karma, the most powerful force on
    earth; more powerful than the all the guns used to protect "free speech."
    We are all ultimately responsible for the words we speak and the
    consequences that may result.
    Michael Bauce
    Berkeley

    Protesters were seniors, parents, not 'goons'
    Editor:
    Aubrey Lee Broudy (letters, 12-11) should check again with his wife about
    what happened when she went to hear Benjamin Netanyahu at the Berkeley
    Community Theater at Berkeley High School a couple of weeks ago. Mr. Broudy
    said his wife was unable to enter because "Berkeley goons had blocked the
    doors and the Berkeley police somehow were not able or willing to move them
    away."
    As someone who wants to evoke the memory of Mario Savio and draw upon
    Berkeley's "freedom of speech" motto, Mr. Broudy should reconsider his
    characterization of people as goons. Amongst the so-called "goons" that
    night were senior citizens, people in wheelchairs, and young couples with
    their babies. If Mr.  Broudy's wife had really been interested in hearing
    what people had to say, she would have found that there were any number of
    conversations going-on between those who had come to hear Mr. Netanyahu and
    those who had come to object to his presence, and there was an exchange of
    ideas between people who normally would not even be talking to one another.
    No one blocked any doors to the Berkeley Community Theater. Police did
    seal-off the Berkeley High School campus earlier in the day;
    explosives-sniffing dogs were brought in; and other dramatic preparations
    were made for Mr. Netanyahu's arrival.  When people began entering the high
    school campus en route to the Theater, those there to protest Mr.
    Netanyahu's presence integrated themselves with the crowd after the police
    grabbed two people who had peacefully approached the ticket-holders to ask
    them to reconsider their decision to attend. At this point the police
    locked the gates to the high school campus.
    As one Police Lieutenant explained, the police were then unable to
    determine who was a ticket-holder and who was a demonstrator, so they were
    not able to "move them (the demonstrators) away," as Mr. Broudy mentioned
    in his letter. The event was then cancelled by Mr. Netanyahu himself.
    Mr. Netanyahu is deeply involved in the suppression of free speech,
    assembly, and even the right to exist, of Palestinians in Israel and the
    occupied territories. I am proud of the demonstrators who deprived him of a
    forum for his message of intolerance and hate in Berkeley.
    Steve Wagner,
    Oakland

    Did lecture series offer opposing view?
    Editor:
    Though I can see both sides of the recent "free speech" controversy over
    the appearance of Benjamin Netanyahu in Berkeley, I realized by reading
    your December 9 article "Lecture Series Provides Intellectual
    Entertainment" that the the prospective listeners were by no means passive
    agents in this imbroglio.
    Fame feeds upon itself. The celebrity of speakers such as Wesley Clark,
    Kissinger, and Netanyahu not only allows them abundant access to the mass
    media denied most of us but "entitles" them to lecture fees in the tens of
    thousands of dollars for a few hours of "work." Going to hear them is an
    ethical choice; I would no more want to contribute to the net worth of any
    of these men than I would to that of a famous Holocaust denier or serial
    killer doing the lecture circuit because I "just wanted to hear what they
    had to say."
    Moreover, series subscribers vote on whom they want to hear. Did the
    subscribers have the choice of hearing Yasser Arafat, Edward Said, Ramsey
    Clark, or Mordechai Vanunu, and if so, how did they vote?
    Gray Brechin
    Berkeley

    Netanyahu, not protests often on TV
    Editor:
    Berkeley Mayor Shirley Dean sadly demeans herself, churning nonsense about
    protesters violating the "free speech" rights of ^A'poor, besieged' Benjamin
    Netanyahu  as well as falsely claiming that the protesters object to
    "controversial figures." (We object to mass human rights violators.)
    As we said in the ^A'90's, "Puh-lease!" Netanyahu has more "free speech"
    than all the protesters combined.
    In case it has escaped the Mayor's notice, Netanyahu  an omnipresent figure
    on American TV, with plenty of U.S. financial and media support  gets to
    speak all the time. You could hardly avoid hearing him.
    For those who felt so traumatized about missing Netanyahu's PR speech, you
    can catch him almost any week, on any American TV set near you.
    And yet, in the U.S.major media, the dissent of even large nonviolent
    protests is only featured when protesters engage in bold civic actions that
    "make news." Netanyahu's cancellation made the protest "news."
    Netanyahu would have never allowed any dissidents in the auditorium the
    free speech to morally challenge his involvement in Israel's
    internationally condemned mass human rights violations.
    In fact, Netanyahu led a state whose very policies deny the free speech of
    those it oppresses.
    But Dean is not alone in defending the freedom of a mass human rights
    violator to carry on without inconvenient interruptions.
    I guess, over the years, the FSM signers of the Dec. 7 letter to the Daily
    Planet
    have become staid and forgotten a few things about the lopsidedness of
    power and
    dissent. I
    n such lopsidedness, the protest against Netanyahu actually constituted a
    strike for free speech. Only the peaceful disruption (in the tradition of
    sit-ins) brought some national attention to the moral issue of Israel's
    oppression of Palestinians.
    This increased free speech to voices typically censored by the American media.
    Mario Savio, an incisive and charismatic leader of the FSM, championed the
    free speech rights of those without institutional or state power to speak
    truth to power.  Savio didn't champion the free speech rights of power:
    power by its very nature already has this right.
    Savio also proclaimed that we must throw our bodies on the gears of state
    power when it becomes heinously oppressive  and in a way, that's what the
    protesters did.
    We know what Netanyahu stands for: he stands for oppression. No
    business-as-usual.
    There is no true "free speech" without the opportunity to critically
    challenge power; and meaningfully none, when the major media is politically
    controlled and dissent is barred access.
    Then, there is only power's propaganda. By unthinkingly criticizing the
    protesters as attacking "free speech," Mayor Dean and the FSM letter
    writers subvert the very foundation of "free speech": speaking truth to power.
    Joseph Anderson,
    Berkeley

    Don't lose message of demonstration
    Editor:
    Using the theme "Attack on free speech" has been an inaccurate, but
    convenient, way of drawing attention away from the message of the
    demonstration of Tuesday, Dec. 5 outside the Berkeley Community Theater.
    "U.S. and Israel out of Palestine," was one of the chants. U.S. money and
    arms enable Israeli military to murder hundreds of Palestinians (largely
    children) and to wound thousands more.
    U.N. Resolutions have repeatedly demanded that Israel withdraw to pre-1967
    borders, that Jewish settlements in occupied territories are illegal under
    international law, and that East Jerusalem is part of Palestinian territory.
    Remember, it was the United Nations that ended the British mandate over
    1947 Palestine and created the state of Israel alongside Palestine.
    Margaret Katz
    Berkeley

    First Amendment is for all
    Editor
    My God, I have never read a more fascist interpretation of free speech
    (letter by Osha Neumann 12/12) in my life, e.g. the first amendment
    "restricts government, not people. When (the government) makes a law
    restricting speech, that law affects us all and is enforced with all the
    power of the courts and the cops."
    Unless, of course, zealots like this individual decides who will and will
    not enjoy this first amendment right.
    While he's at it, why not dictate just who we, the ignorant majority, may
    hear or
    may not hear, see or read. I can't believe this man is practicing law in
    our community.
    Michael Yovino-Young
    Berkeley