[sixties-l] Re: sixties-l-An American Coup

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: 12/16/00

    If it was a coup, there was participation at many levels, as shown by
    this one of many examples cited by Alexander Cockburn below.  But it
    also had the participation of the Democrats and the Gore Administration
    which so obviously pulled its knockout punch by refusing to challenge
    the election on the basis of the flagrant violations of the Voting
    Rights Act in the case of Black voters which would have been much harder
    for the Gang of Five to reject, as opposed to the confusing issues of
    dimpled or hanging chads and interpreting what was or was not the
    intention of individual voters.

    It has been clear for some time that the Democratic Party no longer
    wishes to be perceived as the party representing African-Americans, and
    maintaining this position was apparently more important than winning the
    election. For if they had raised the question of Voting Rights Act
    violations, and had won, the perception would be that Gore's election
    was due to the Black vote, and as a consequence, the Democrats would
    have had an obvious obligation to respond to the issues of Black
    America.  Since doing so is not on the agenda of the corporate sponsors
    of the Democrats any more than it is of the Republicans, using the issue
    of the Voting Rights Act violations, even if it meant winning the
    presidency, was not an option.

    Jeff Blankfort

    Now, here's what Cockburn wrote:

    Try this story detailed by Ron Davis of Miami-Dade County.
    "Our family always votes together. This year, it was my turn
    to drive. After work, my wife Lisa and I borrowed a van from
    a friend and picked up my brother, my parents and my uncle
    and aunt. About a block away from the polling place, we were
    pulled over by a county sheriff. He looked in the van and
    asked me if I had a chauffeur's license. I said, this is my
    family, and we're going to vote. He said, 'You can't take
    all those people to the polling place without a license.
    Go home, and I won't write you a ticket.' I was tired of
    arguing. We went home, and all tried to vote later. But
    it was too late."

    Or how about this, from Dave Crawford of Broward County: "I
    showed up at the polling place with my 5-year-old daughter.
    I was stopped at the door by an election official. He asked
    me my name. I told him. He said, 'Son, we've got a problem.
    You're not allowed to vote.' I asked him what the hell he
    was talking about. He said, 'Son, says here you're a convict.
    Convicts can't vote.' He had this list in his hand. And I
    told him that I'd never even been arrested in my life. I
    handed him my voter ID card. He just shook his head, smiled
    and pointed at a list. He never showed me my name. My
    daughter began to cry, and I left in disgust."

    --Alexander Cockburn
      "No Closure For Those Uncounted"
      WorkingForChange
      December 14, 2000