Re: [sixties-l] Fwd: A Hard Days Night

From: Mark Bunster (mbunster@saturn.vcu.edu)
Date: 12/14/00

    At 03:47 PM 12/14/2000, you wrote:

    >>Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000
    >>From: Mitchel Cohen <mitchelcohen@mindspring.com>
    >>

    >>"A Hard Days' Night" is, from this vantage after all these years, a silly
    >>movie with fantastic music. No violence, no sex (just flirting), no
    >>pervasive cynicism, no hint of the intense bombing of North Vietnam that
    >>had begun the year the film was first released or the civil rights movement
    >>that had swept the South the previous years. Only John Lennon in the
    >>bubblebath (a close look reveals he was actually wearing shorts, alas!
    >>Sure, I looked!) -- the one truly remarkable scene, for me -- in mock
    >>German accent sinking British warships -- alone worth the price of the
    >>movie. And, of course, She loves you, STILL! ... yea, yea, yea!

    It's more than a silly movie. Ask any number of filmmakers, both young and
    old, and they will praise that film to the heavens for its originality,
    pace, cinematography, and editing. It is a classic the same way Kane or
    2001 is, despite (or perhaps because) its lightweight subject.

    But I appreciated your reminiscience...