Re: [sixties-l] student activism & NSA

From: Angus Johnston (angus@fecko.com)
Date: 12/12/00

    Julie Reuben writes:
    >I may be wrong but it seems like the NSA
    >did function as a conduit of ideas and information, in
    >large part due to the work of the liberal study group (some
    >of the leaders of which then became officers of the NSA).

    I don't think you're wrong. Whatever else NSA may or may not have
    been, it was clearly a clearinghouse. It played this role both
    formally (as when NSA officers and staff distributed data to member
    campuses) and informally (as when members of the LSG and others
    forged their own networks at the annual Congresses).

    What's more, it did so before, during, and after the sixties.

    I'm presently at work on a doctoral dissertation on the history of
    NSA, so I'd be very much interested in hearing others' thoughts about
    the organization and its (complex, compromised) role in postwar
    student cultures and movements.

    >I'd be interested to hear (off-list or on) more about your
    >(and others') views about the relation between activism
    >related to on- and off-campus issues

    This is a great question, and it raises a more fundamental issue as
    well: Which forms of student activity do we consider "activism"?

    --
    Angus Johnston
    City University of New York