[sixties-l] Angry White Trash

From: Sorrento95@aol.com
Date: 12/10/00

    For list members who would like to see a very
    politically incorrect book well worth reading,
    I recommend The Redneck Manifesto by Jim Goad.
    This hard-hitting book, a brilliant defense of
    white trash, kicks the hell out of every liberal
    illusion out there and gets down to the bare
    naked truth I understood 35 years ago:  what
    we have in this country is primarily a problem
    of class injustice, not race injustice.

    The dewey-eyed airhead liberals, no more than
    servants of the capitalist ruling class, encourage
    blacks to blame the common white man for everything
    in order to keep the heat off the real enemy.
    Rednecks, hillbillys, and trailer park  white
    trash have been set up as the new scapegoats.
    I have known this for years, but Goad's book gives
    me a lot more substance than I had before seeing
    it.

    Goad makes the historical case that most white
    Americans are little more than descendants of
    Europe's social refuse who sent them to the New
    World as a convenient dumping ground.  For the
    most part, our white ancestors weren't slave
    owners and exploiters. On the contrary, most of
    the white arrivals to the New World in the 1600s
    and 1700s were themselves convicts or white
    slaves ("indentured servants.")  Yet blacks and
    Indians are now being encouraged to hate the
    common white man for "stealing our land" and
    "enslaving our ancestors."  Such rubbish of course
    is just the same old divide-and-rule strategy the
    true oppressors have used to stay in power since
    the day one.

    Here's a good sample of Goad's hard-hitting
    prose:

     Harriet Beecher Stowe, authoress of Uncle
     Tom's Cabin, would have been a white liberal
     were she alive today.  Her problem wasn't that
     she criticized black slavery in the South, it
     was that she was a wealthy New England society
     chippie who ignored all the mangled white
     factory workers and bruised white kiddie laborers
     huddled right outside the debutante ball.  She
     was a Northern aristocrat who scolded Southern
     aristocrats for how they treated their under-
     class, yet she defecated on the underclass in
     her own hometown.

     Stowe toured Great Britain in 1853 and was
     hosted by the Duchess of Sutherland, another
     wickedly wealthy white salon lady who habitually
     hoisted tea and crumpets on behalf of Negrowth
     and Afrocharity.  After her trip, Stowe called
     the Sutherland family 'enlightened.' This must
     be what she meant:  Starting back in 1811, the
     Southerlands had begun a systematic expulsion
     of the Scottish peasantry who'd lived for
     centuries on common lands.  Out of a disputed
     800,000 acres, the Sutherlands claimed 794,000
     for themselves.  They hired British police to
     forcibly drive out the aboriginal Scots and
     burn their homes.  One elderly woman was torched
     alive while still in her hut.  Peasants were
     being beaten and set adrift.  Many starved to
     death.  The Sutherlands' brand of enlightenment
     created fifteen thousand homeless people and
     replaced them with sheep.  It was very altruistic
     for the Duchess of Sutherland to shed tears over
     black slavery in the American South when she had
     raped her own peasantry.  She would have been a
     white liberal, too.

    I'm sure that I'll be denounced as a "white
    chauvinist" for this, but Goad's book ought to
    be required reading for every airhead pseudo-
    left politically correct pretentious Gore-
    loving liberal in America -- including the ones
    on this list !

     ~ Michael Wright
       Norman, Oklahoma