[sixties-l] Putting the Movement Back Into Civil Rights Teaching

From: radman (resist@best.com)
Date: 12/07/00

    Putting the Movement Back Into Civil Rights Teaching

    A curriculum guide for K-12 classrooms

    The Network of Educators on the Americas (NECA) & the
    Poverty and Race Research Action Council (PRRAC) invite
    you to submit materials for "Putting the Movement Back
    Into Civil Rights Teaching," a K-12 curriculum guide, to be
    followed by a series of professional development institutes.
    Taught as a multifaceted people's struggle for social justice,
    the Civil Rights Movement can help students develop a critical
    analysis of racism and resistance enabling them understand
    their role in implementing social change. The central
    themes will include:

    * The multiple strategies used during the Civil Rights Movement

    * The Movement prior to the 1950's and its continuation today

    * The Movement's impact on other national and international
        social and liberation movements

    * The creation and role of culture in the Movement

    The focus areas will be citizenship, education and labor.
    We seek interactive, interdisciplinary lessons, readings,
    graphics, and/or interviews. We hope that you will join
    us in our effort to create this dynamic publication.

    Publication date is Summer 2001.

    Submit articles and lessons ASAP to:

    NECA/Teaching for Change
    P.O. Box 73038