Re: [sixties-l] Sixties-l] Lesson Of Election 2000: Neo Slavery

From: Mark Bunster (mbunster@saturn.vcu.edu)
Date: 12/07/00

    At 12:46 PM 12/06/2000, Blankfort wrote:

    >What is clear from the silence of Gore-Lieberman and Democratic Party
    >apparachiks concerning the violations of the Voting Right Act relating
    >to African-American voters in Florida is the Demos intent to distance
    >the Party in the public viewpoint from being the party of Black
    >Americans. even when it could enhance their presidential chances!

    What, exactly, are their claims?

    a) the ballot was confusing. This has been ajudicated, and--fairly or
    not--that's about all one can hope for.

    b) the lines were long. Hey, they were really long where I voted, too. In
    any case, what possible remedy is there?

    c) they were not allowed to vote.

    Of these, only c) has any useful course of action. I understand 468
    complaints were lodged with the Justice Department. What are they, and how
    are they verifiable? Further, do they point to intentional fraud or
    malfeasance, or--like the embarassing data cleaning job done on Florida's
    list of ineligble voters due to felony conviction--unfortunate but
    non-criminal mistakes?

    Seems awfully premature to throw around the rhetoric of abandonment without
    a passel of facts to back up the charges.