Subject: [sixties-l] Fwd: Letter to Julian Bond

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: 12/05/00

    The following page by me appeared in the 1990 City Lights Review edited
    by poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti and Nancy Peters. I think it makes the
    point that I've been trying to make in a somewhat different way.  There
    are those people who argue that the power of the pro-Israel lobby,
    simply known as "the lobby" in Washington, is overrated. But they are
    not the politicians who know better and who know that it is easier and
    politically safer to speak out against US policy anywhere in the world
    than publicly challenge Israel.

    I have noticed, by the way, that there has not been a single comment on
    this list regarding my posting on Israel's attack on the USS Liberty on
    June 8, 1967 which killed 34 US sailors and wounded 171 others... and
    which led subsequent Israeli governments to correctly understand that
    they can get away with anything, including killing Americans. I guess
    there are some 60s events that are better not talked about.

    Jeff Blankfort

    If South Africa had a lobby
    as powerful as the Israeli lobby...

    * Nelson Mandela would not be free.
    * There would be no sanctions against South Africa.
    * South Africa would be the largest recipient of US aid.
    * The African National Congress would still be outlawed.
    * Congress would have endorsed the idea that apartheid is not racism.
    * Pro-apartheid forces cloaked as peace-makers would try to control
    the      anti-apartheid movement.
    * Public television would require "balanced" reporting to counter
    anti-apartheid programs.
    * Journalists. academics and others who criticized apartheid would be
    targets of character assasinations.
    * The struggle of the Boers against the British for control of South
    Africa would be considered a "national liberation struggle."
    * South Africa would ultimately be defended as the only "democracy" in
    Africa.
       (Fill in whatever we forgot and send to your local congressperson)

             (First of a series of Public Service Advisories)

    Jeffrey Blankfort

    Radman sent:

    *******