[sixties-l] Fwd: Letter to Julian Bond

From: radman (resist@best.com)
Date: 12/03/00

    Subject: 	Letter to Julian Bond
    Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000

    Mr. Julian Bond
    NAACP, President
    4805 Mt. Hope Drive
    Baltimore, MD 21215

    Dear Mr. Bond and members of the NAACP,

    I am the daughter of Palestinian refugees who were expelled from their
    homes at gun point in 1967. I want to express my deep sadness at seeing
    your signature in the NY Times in support of Israel, a government that
    has systematically, for decades, oppressed and enslaved the native
    Palestinian population.

    Your support of Israel is a stand against a society fighting for
    freedom. It is a stand against International law and against the will of
    the International community. It is a stand against the principles of
    human decency.

    Your support of Israel is a stand FOR discrimination, home demolition,
    land confiscation, water allocation disparity, daily humiliation of a
    society, checkpoints, different colored ID cards and license plates,
    segregated housing, segregated schooling, torture, imprisonment
    without charge or trial, deportation, dispossession. and the use of
    sharpshooters against children as a means of "riot control."

    Your support of Israel is in contravention of the spirit of the NAACP.

    Rather than go into history and explain my people's side of the
    conflict, I'd simply like to list a few words from the "horse's mouth,"
    so to speak. You might find some similarities to what was said against
    African-Americans not too long ago.

    "We declare openly that the Arabs have no right to settle on even one
    centimeter of Eretz Israel... Force is all they do or ever will
    understand. We shall use the ultimate force until the Palestinians come
    crawling to us on all fours." -- Rafael Eitan, Chief of Staff of the
    Israeli Defence Forces - Gad Becker, Yediot Ahronot 13 April 1983, New
    York Times 14 April 1983.

    "[The Palestinians] are beasts walking on two legs." --Menahim Begin,
    speech to the Knesset, quoted in Amnon Kapeliouk, 'Begin and the
    "Beasts"', New Statesman, 25 June 1982.

    "We must do everything to ensure they [the Palestinian refugees] never
    do return" -- David Ben-Gurion, in his diary, 18 July 1948, quoted in
    Michael Bar Zohar's Ben-Gurion: the Armed Prophet, Prentice-Hall, 1967,
    p. 157.

    "We should prepare to go over to the offensive. Our aim is to smash
    Lebanon, Trans-Jordan, and Syria. The weak point is Lebanon, for the
    Moslem regime is artificial and easy for us to undermine. We shall
    establish a Christian state there, and then we will smash the Arab
    Legion, eliminate Trans-Jordan; Syria will fall to us. We then bomb
    and move on and take Port Said, Alexandria and Sinai." -- David
    Ben-Gurion, May 1948, to the General Staff. From Ben-Gurion, A
    Biography, by Michael Ben-Zohar, Delacorte, New York 1978.

    "We must use terror, assassination, intimidation, land confiscation,
    and the cutting of all social services to rid the Galilee of its Arab
    population." -- Israel Koenig, "The Koenig Memorandum"

    "If I was an Arab leader I would never make [peace] with Israel. That
    is natural: we have taken their country." -- David Ben Gurion, quoted in
    The Jewish Paradox, by Nahum Goldmann, Weidenfeld and Nicolson, 1978,
    p. 99.

    "Jewish villages were built in the place of Arab villages. You do not
    even know the names of these Arab villages, and I do not blame you
    because geography books no longer exist. Not only do the books not
    exist, the Arab villages are not there either. Nahlal arose in the place
    of Mahlul; Kibbutz Gvat in the place of Jibta; Kibbutz Sarid in the
    place of Huneifis; and Kefar Yehushua in the place of Tal al-Shuman.

    There is not a single place built in this country that did not have a
    former Arab population." -- Moshe Dayan, address to the Technion,
    Haifa, reported in Haaretz, April 4, 1969.

    "We walked outside, Ben-Gurion accompanying us. Allon repeated his
    question, 'What is to be done with the Palestinian population?'
    Ben-Gurion waved his hand in a gesture which said 'Drive them out!'"
    --Yitzhak Rabin, leaked censored version of Rabin memoirs, published
    in the New York Times, 23 October 1979; Rabin's description of the
    conquest of Lydda, after the completion of Plan Dalet.

    "We shall reduce the Arab population to a community of woodcutters and
    waiters" Uri Lubrani, PM Ben-Gurion's special adviser on Arab Affairs,
    1960. From "The Arabs in Israel" by Sabri Jiryas.

    "There are some who believe that the non-Jewish population, even in a
    high percentage, within our borders will be more effectively under our
    surveillance; and there are some who believe the contrary, i.e., that
    it is easier to carry out surveillance over the activities of a neighbor
    than over those of a tenant. [I] tend to support the latter view and
    have an additional argument:...the need to sustain the character of
    the state which will henceforth be Jewish...with a non-Jewish minority
    limited to 15 percent. I had already reached this fundamental position
    as early as 1940 [and] it is entered in my diary." --Joseph Weitz, head
    of the Jewish Agency's Colonization Department. From Israel: an
    Apartheid State by Uri Davis, p.5.

       "Everybody has to move, run and grab as many hilltops as they can to
    enlarge the settlements because everything we take now will stay ours...
    Everything we don't grab will go to them." --Ariel Sharon, Israeli
    Foreign Minister, addressing a meeting of militants from the extreme
    right-wing Tsomet Party, Agence France Presse, November 15, 1998.

    "It is the duty of Israeli leaders to explain to public opinion, clearly
    and courageously, a certain number of facts that are forgotten with
    time. The first of these is that there is no Zionism, colonialization
    or Jewish State without the eviction of the Arabs and the expropriation
    of their lands." Yoram Bar Porath, Yediot Aahronot, of 14 July 1972.

    "Spirit the penniless population across the frontier by denying it
    employment... Both the process of expropriation and the removal of the
    poor must be carried out discreetly and circumspectly." Theodore
    Herzl, founder of the World Zionist Organization, speaking of the Arabs of
    Palestine, Complete Diaries, June 12, 1895 entry.

    In closing, Mr. Bond, let me reiterate my disappointment. I come from
    a proud but deeply violated people. It is a sad day when members
    (especially high ranking ones) of the NAACP stand in support of
    oppression and dehumanization of the Palestinians. It is a sad day
    indeed for all of us desperately struggling to reclaim our identity, our
    dignity, and our freedom. To fight against the unspeakable oppression
    is our duty. But to have to combat complacency and ignorance of those
    who claim to fight for justice is deeply disheartening. What happened to
    you since the days you were out there fighting for justice?

    Sincerely,
    Susan Abulhawa
    a Palestinian in exile