[sixties-l] To those on this Website who can only see half empty cups...

From: BrentLance@aol.com
Date: 12/03/00

    In supporting their arguments about the tyranny foisted by America on the
    peoples and governments of the world -- of which I see many vitriolic
    manifestations on this website -- it is always convenient for sixties-sodden
    social critics to gloss over or not even mention the beneficent contributions
    of our country.

    Here's a TV editorial by Gorden Sinclair, a Canadian television commentator.
    Don't his insights make you feel all the more ashamed to be an American?

    "America: The Good Neighbor"

    "This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most
    generous and possibly the least appreciated people on all the earth. Germany,
    Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted out of the
    debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave
    other billions in debts. None of these countries is today paying even the
    interest on its remaining debts to the United States.

    "When the France was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans
    who propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the
    streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it.

    "When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the United States that hurries in
    to help. This spring, 59 American communities were flattened by tornadoes.
    Nobody helped.

    "The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars into
    discouraged countries. Now newspapers in those countries are writing about
    the decadent, warmongering Americans.

    "I'd like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the
    erosion of the United States dollar build its own airplane. Does any other
    country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed
    Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10?  If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all
    the International lines except Russia fly American planes?

    "Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on the
    moon? You talk about Japanese technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about
    German technocracy, and you get automobiles.

    "You talk about American technocracy, and you find men on the moon - not
    once, but several times - and safely home again.

    "You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store
    window for everybody to look at. Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and
    hounded. They are here on our streets, and most of them, unless they are
    breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars from ma and pa at home
    to spend here.

    "When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through
    age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad
    and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both
    are still broke.

    "I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other
    people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to
    the Americans in trouble?  I don't think there was outside help even during
    the San Francisco earthquake.

    "Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one Canadian who is damned tired
    of hearing them get kicked around. They will come out of this thing with
    their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at
    the lands that are gloating over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not
    one of those."