Re: [sixties-l] In Defense Of Ralph Nader

From: William M. Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: 12/02/00

    Norman Thomas, ever. The vote for him was a vote for the Debs tradition,
    but, understandably, never reached Debs' numbers. As to who stimulated
    the not-so-modest reforms of the New Deal, it was we who were
    Communists. The fact that I left that organization over forty years ago
    when it ran out of potential has nothing to do with the fact that in the
    years when I was a member, and still proud of it, it won unions to
    supporting unemployment insurance (which the A.F. of L. leadership
    opposed: "American workers will never accept the dole"); it insisted
    that the C.I.O. unions that hired local Communist paid personnel as
    organizers abandon the color line that many old-line unions maintained
    for decades thereafter; it fought for anti-lynching legislation and, in
    point of fact, for breaking the lily-white nature of big league
    professional sports, with the aid of the best sports writer who ever
    lived: Lester Rodney of the Daily Worker.
                                                                Bill Mandel