Re: [sixties-l] Re: Nader Fiasco

From: William M. Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: 12/02/00

    Last night I saw the remarkable documentary, "Rebels With A Cause," on the
    history of the SDS. In the discussion period, I said it had cured me of forty
    years of Berkeley chauvinism, to which the filmmaker responded: "Berkeley as the
    center of the universe?" I said: "Yes."
        The San Francisco Chronicle was critical of the film as being essentially
    talking heads. True. But what talking heads! During the Sixties I was impatient
    with SDS leaders (all the well-known names) because they seemed so naive about
    our society. Last night, hearing them describe where they each, individually,
    started from, I understood that that was exactly right, and their learning and
    contribution is all the more impressive because of that. To hear Ogilvy say that
    he had written a paper as a student describing how we had resolved the Cold War
    by nuking the USSR out of existence, and how he had moved from that position,
    was deeply moving.
        The film was made by a woman, and half at least of the talking heads were
    women. They did a particularly fine job of describing how the women's liberation
    movement (they didn't call it feminism) came out of their SDS experiences. Very
    impressive.
        For those who can get to Berkeley, where it is showing at the UC Theater for
    just a few days, I urge you to do so. It is a tool for today's youth. The
    flashback pictures showing the heads when they were students help tremendously.
    It really should be seen by everone radicalized by Seattle, Philadelphia, Los
    Angeles, Washington.
                                                                                Bill
    Mandel