Re: [sixties-l] Re: Nader Fiasco

From: Carrol Cox (cbcox@ilstu.edu)
Date: 11/29/00

    "William M. Mandel" wrote:

    > I agree with your point but not your documentation. The Republicans and
    > Democrats are not Hitler and Goebbels. I am not speaking of the degree
    > of difference, but the difference between capitalist democracy and
    > fascism. Under the latter, we'd be in jail and tortured, maybe shot, for
    > these messages.

    My emphasis was on degree of difference. But as I have now said in another
    post, if we look at the Third Reich or the U.S. *not* from the perspective
    of
    their *domestic* policy but from the perspective of the rest of the world,
    Bush and Gore are really worse, for two reasons: (1) the far greater power
    of the U.S. and (2) capitalist democracy is part of that power. Democracy
    has always been a more efficient system than dictatorship for ruling an
    empire. Certainly the U.S. is killing (directly and indirectly) far more
    people
    around the world and causing far more misery than Hitler was ever
    capable of inflicting.

    Subscribers to this list should really be more capable of looking at the
    U.S.
    from the outside. I know it's comfortable to live here (unless you are black

    in South Chicago, etc). But is that the main perspective on any "great"
    nation?

    Carrol