Re: [sixties-l] Re: Hitchins on Nader

From: William M. Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: 11/28/00

    The disfranchisement of one-quarter of Black males due to felony records
    is a consequence of Clinton-Gore drug and tough love policies. The
    number of eligible Blacks intimidated from voting by Florida police
    and/or election officials was alone enough to swing the election to
    Gore. To ignore both of these factors is white chauvinism pure and
    simple.
         As Gore was unwilling to raise these issues or to demand a re-vote
    at least in the country where Buchanan himself admits he got more votes
    intended for Gore than necessary to put the state in the latter's
    column, why be concerned with Gore? And what on earth do any of the
    above have to do with Nader?
          The clearest indication that millions of voters really don't care
    much which man wins is indicated by the lopsided number shown in
    yesterday's polls to favor accepting the certification of Florida for
    Bush. Clearly, nationwide literally millions who voted for Gore did so
    because they are habitual Democratic voters and not because they saw any
    difference.
                                                                William
    Mandel