Re: [sixties-l] Re: Hitchins on Nader

From: Marty Jezer (mjez@sover.net)
Date: 11/27/00

    I have to admit that that was my first thought too. Neo-fascists intimidating
    the election officials in Dade. But if they were lefty protestors, they'd not
    be
    intimidating?  Though our causes may have been just, we on the left have been
    a helluva lot more intidimating.

    I don't believe the protestors caused Dade to stop the count. The Mayor is a
    right-wing
    Democrat, a Cuban, who is about to become a Republican. He hates the
    Clintonians cause
    of the Elian case. And the Cubans have little sympathy for non-Cuban minority
    voters.
    This was backroom politics, not demonstrators, calling the shots.

    More to the point, those of us who advocate militant demonstrations can't cry
    foul
    when the other side takes to the street. We can argue about their politics, but
    not
    their right to direct action.

    Marty

    At 06:12 PM 11/24/2000 -0800, you wrote:
    >I'm afraid we're just starting to see the grief that Bush will cause. Does
    >anyone else fear the neo-fascist protesters in Dade County who have now
    >intimidated the election officials from counting the ballots? Talk about a
    >stolen election... how many years have the votes been thrown out to favor
    >one candidate or the other? Any statistics kept on this? Or is this the
    >first time the old cranky machinery for counting votes failed in Florida?
    >
    >The local paper has photos, Bush or Revolution... but then American
    >politics have always been ugly. Those who have the strongest stomachs
    >win.... I'm afraid.
    >

    >best, Don Monkerud
    >Santa Cruz
    >

    >>-----Michael Rossman wrote:
    >>

    >>>So did
    >>>their stupidity in otherwise muting and center-izing his campaign. >
    >>

    >>But is it not probable that moving away from the center would have cost Gore
    >>more votes than it would have gained him.  Holding contsant all other
    >>possible factors, it is indisputable that had Nader not run, Gore would have
    >>won an unambiguous victory in Florida and the nation would have been spared
    >>a good deal of grief, especially if Bush does eke out a victory.
    >>
    >>Tony Edmonds
    >>Ball State Universirty

    Marty Jezer * 22 Prospect Street * Brattleboro, Vermont 05301

    Website <http://www.sover.net/~mjez
    Subscribe to my Friday commentary (it's free), just send me your e-mail address
    by reply