Re: [sixties-l] In Vietnam, Clinton Is a Hero for His

From: Marty Jezer (mjez@sover.net)
Date: 11/17/00

    The NY Times Sunday Magazine had an article a long time ago that confirms
    Jeff's
    recollection. It was about Americans at Oxford who were part of Clinton's
    crowd.
    One of Clinton's friends was a draft resister. He was described as the moral
    beacon of Clinton's class.
    If I recall the article, and this is from memory, he later committed suicide.
    Clinton, I recall, was against the war
    but not an activist -- except in the imagination of the American right wing. He
    was, as Jeff says, a draft dodger,
    -- and an opportunistic one -- which was different -- politically and morally
    -- from being a resister.

    More recently, I received one of those e-mails that go around the internet for
    years (this one
    circulated among right-wingers) that accused Hillary Clinton of being one of
    the lead lawyers
    (and the mastermind of the legal strategy!!!) for the Black Panthers. As a Yale
    law student
    she may have done some research for the defense, but certainly would not have
    had a leading role
    as the document charged. (New Yorkers: did this come up in her Senate
    campaign?)

    One of the strange and disorienting facts about the American political culture
    is that in
    Republican eyes, the Clinton's were and are left-wing activists.

    Marty Jezer

    Jeff wrote:

    snip snip ....  >If someone has some evidence that Clinton was anything but a
    wily draft dodger, it would be
    >appreciated.
    >
    >Jeff Blankfort
    >
    >radman wrote:
    >>
    >> In Vietnam, Clinton Is a Hero for His Anti-War Protest Days
    >>
    >>     When President Bill Clinton arrives in Hanoi this week as the first
    >>     U.S. president to visit Vietnam since the fall of Saigon, he will be
    >>     warmly welcomed in part because of a decision he has spent his entire
    >>     political career trying to live down: avoiding the war.
    >>     <http://tm0.com/IHT/sbct.cgi?s=80180978&i=277848&d=613213>

    Marty Jezer * 22 Prospect Street * Brattleboro, Vermont 05301

    Website <http://www.sover.net/~mjez
    Subscribe to my Friday commentary (it's free), just send me your e-mail address
    by reply