Re: [sixties-l] After the Election >

From: Marty Jezer (mjez@sover.net)
Date: 11/08/00

    At 12:58 AM 11/6/2000 -0700, Jeff wrote:

    >I find it curious that Marty and others on this and other lists who are
    Gore supporters don't recognize what a

    Actually, I voted for Nader, an easy thing to do in Vermont. I despair for the
    left when
    anyone who tries to present a balanced, that is objective, picture of where
    America is today is read out of "the movement," which increasingly seems to be
    like a fraternity more than a movement, where you have to cheer lead 100% and
    know all the right ideological -- and I would say, knee-jerk -- constructs.

    >And I should remind Marty, because, he is old enough to
    >remember, that we were warned that if Nixon was elected, we would surely
    >have fascism; then if Reagan was elected, we would surely have it;

    No doubt there were some on the left who said it, but I certainly didn't and
    wouldn't have paid attention to anyone who did. For the record, in 1980, I was
    on the steering committee of the Vermont Citizens Party.

    >Genuine campaign reform is no more likely to happen under one administration
    or another

    It's passed in one form or another in four states. And yes, as I said, it will
    take a mass movement and grassroots pressure to have a chance in Congress.  If
    Jeff has given up on one of the necessary structural reforms that would make
    other reforms possible, what's the point of being involved in politics?

    Marty Jezer
    Marty Jezer * 22 Prospect Street * Brattleboro, Vermont 05301 *  website:
    <http://www.sover.net/~mjez
    Subscribe to my Friday commentary (it's free), just send me your e-mail address
    by reply