[sixties-l] RE: Election and identity politics >

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: 11/04/00

    Barney Frank has this nice, folksy manner, which conceals as much
    hypocrisy as any ward politician. Until gay rights and a woman's right
    to choose became popular issues, Gore had compiled a long and sorry
    record of anti-gay statements and was openly anti-choice that were
    comparable or worse than anything Dubya or Cheney has come up with and
    Frank knows that, Barney is a genuine party loyalist and can be counted
    on to support such lovely actions as the genocidal sanctions against
    Iraq, the bombing of Serbia, and he is resolutely behind whatever Israel
    chooses to do to the Palestinians or Lebanese. At the time that he
    writes to Nader about, the latter was not seeking political office, and
    was focused on correcting corporate misdeeds. Would he reasonably be
    expected to take a position on every issue on the country's political
    agenda? I think not. There were other issues at the time, our
    intervention in Central America, which for me, was a hell of a lot more
    important than the Defense of Marriage Act, and I don't recall Nader
    making statements about that either. So what? His field of expertise was
    corporate misdeeds and he was wise to stick to it. .  And I find nothing
    wrong with his staying out of that issue as he stayed out of many others

    Identity politics has played an important role in activating people who
    might otherwise keep their distance from the political arena, and was
    the basis, of course for one of the most important movements of out
    time, the civil right movement, which in turn, has been copied with
    considerable success and primed with considerably more money by the
    women's movement and the gay and lesbian movement. The national
    organizations created by these more recent movements have become
    increasingly and distressingly opportunistic as they melted into the
    Democratic Party fold, and from my standpoint, present a barrier to
    building a broad movement, much like the AFL-CIO has been for the past
    four decades.

    Seattle was a success because it focused on a single issue: the WTO and
    global capitalism.  Protesters were of all ages, colors and sexual
    orientations, coming together in recognition of the impact that global
    capitalism as virtually every aspect of everyone's life on the planet.
    Los Angeles's D2K was a failure because everyone was marching for their
    favorite, albeit worthy cause--one day there were five separate marches
    or rallies--and there was no focus. No easy answers here.

    Jeff Blankfort