Re: [sixties-l] Re: Rosenbergs and sixties

From: Bill Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: 11/01/00

    I really wish folks who think I may know of something from personal
    experience would check my Saying No To Power before asking me to
    respond personally. But as a direct answer to that then-child's oral
    history reminiscence, here's what happened. We were on Sunrise Highway
    on the way to the cemetery where the Rosenbergs had just been
    interred, when State Troopers blocked it so no more mourners would be
    admitted.
       I told the driver of the car I was in to stop dead on the highway.
    I signalled the cars in our caravan to pull alongside and block all
    lanes. I then hopped out, walked to the cars of Sunday beach-goers
    that had had to stop behind us, told them that we didn't want to spoil
    their day off but we wished merely to pay our respects to people we
    thought had been unjustly executed.
       The jam behind us apparently totalled to what was estimated,
    presumably from planes or choppers, as seven thousand cars, for that
    was the number the next day's New York Herald Tribune (country's
    leading Republican paper then) said was the number in the mourning
    parade!
       The cops let us proceed, but directed us to a rear entrance to the
    cemetery. My car was in the lead. The rear entrance was locked. I told
    the driver to push gently until the lock broke. He did, and we were
    able to pay our respects.
    																												Bill Mandel