Re: [sixties-l] To Nader or not to Nader

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: 10/31/00

    I don't wish to repeat what I wrote in my reply to Todd except to point
    out just two of the fallacies in Peter's reponse:

    The first is in regard to Taft-Hartley. To indicate how far the AFL-CIO
    has descended into the abyss of Democratic Party politics, they never
    even mention it, let alone demand its repeal. Embarassing is the last
    thing John Sweeney or the other labor bureaucrats want to do. Nader's
    mentioning it, of course, was the last thing the AFL-CIO wanted. So if
    Levy believes that there is a chance of ANY positive labor legislation
    coming out of a Gore administration, he is dreaming.  Unfortunately he
    is not alone.

    Finally, the notion that we will put press ure on Gore from the streets
    is equally unrealistic. Not since LBJ up to the WTO have there been any
    street actions that are critical of a sitting Democratic Party president
    and the WTO and IMF/World Bank were directed more at the corporations
    than at the administration. As I wrote to Todd, all the major groups
    that would be critical of a Republican administration, roll over and
    play dead when a Democrat is in office.

    If I am wrong in my facts and anyone can point to a major protest
    against a Democratic president from JFK to the present, with the
    exception of LBJ, I would appreciate having my mistake pointed out to
    me.

    Jeff Blankfort