Re: [sixties-l] Critique of Bruce Franklin

From: Bill Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: 10/25/00

    On Michael Wright's closing point regarding the relative policies of
    other former slave states regarding discriminatory executions of
    Blacks and discriminatory disposition of bodies for dissection or the
    families, my caveat was solely for the sake of careful scholarship. I
    have no reason whatever to believe that the other states were better
    than Virginia.
       I have to say that Wright's position represents a particularly
    short-sighted and old-fashioned form of white chauvinism. Post-slavery
    law in the South, particularly after the defeat of Reconstruction and
    the violent suppression of alliances between Blacks and poor whites in
    end-of-19th-century populism (the Wilmington Massacre, for example),
    was specifically crafted and even more specifically enforced as a
    means of political terrorism against African-Americans. The Scottsboro
    Case is a particularly well-known instance of absolutely false
    accusation of rape, subsequently renounced in court by one of the
    alleged victims, used fundamentally to keep Blacks "in their place."
    An endless number of lynchings occurred over false rape charges made
    for a variety of reasons from wanting a Black neighbor's property to
    trying to cover an under-age white female's pregnancy.
        When I was in Richmond in 1951 in the unsuccessful attempt to save
    the Martinsville Seven from execution, I took very detailed
    biographical information on why people had come there for that
    purpose. One was from a white woman from Oklahoma, who, when in high
    school, had seen a rape cry raised against a Black kid, who was not
    subjected either to lynching or trial because the fact of the liaison
    of the white girl involved with a white boy was too widely known among
    the white students. I quote that story in detail in my Saying No To
    Power.
             William Mandel