Re: [sixties-l] Critique of Bruce Franklin

From: Chris Shugart (profcdavid@redshift.com)
Date: 10/24/00

    All opinion polls and anti-war demonstrations aside, no one has mentioned
    what effect lowering the voting age to 18 may have influenced Vietnam war
    policy in particular, and the political landscape in general. I tend to
    believe that most protest demonstrations (then, as well as now) have little
    effect on the political establishment unless it accompanies a tangible
    voting constituency. I'm no political consultant, but I know how
    politicians think. As long as they get their votes, they can ignore
    everything else, in spite of what they might say about being "sensitive to
    the issues."

    Chris Shugart