[Fwd: [Fwd: Re: [sixties-l] Nader and the 'sixties: 296 academics, et. al. for Nader]]

From: William M Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: 10/15/00

    -------- Original Message --------
    Subject: [Fwd: Re: [sixties-l] Nader and the 'sixties: 296
    academics, et. al. for Nader]
    Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 17:46:14 -0700
    From: William M Mandel <wmmmandel@earthlink.net>
    To: sixties-1@lists.village.virginia.edu

    -------- Original Message --------
    Subject: Re: [sixties-l] Nader and the 'sixties: 296
    academics, et. al. for Nader
    Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 17:45:09 -0700
    From: William M Mandel <wmmmandel@earthlink.net>
    To: sixties-l@lists.village.virginia.edu

    Jesse: Congratulations to you New Yorkers on the Madison
    Square Garden meeting.
        On the basis of our conversation one day in your town a
    number of years ago,
    I think you and all sixties people will be interested in my
    reaction to two
    conferences I attended last month and this. I returned last
    night from the
    American Studies Assn. meeting in Detroit. It is absolutely
    clear from the
    content and approaches taken in the papers I heard in
    numerous panels that this
    is the most progressive era ever in American academe. Having
    been a student
    before World War II, I know from personal experience that
    higher education at
    that time was totally an elitist experience, and faculties
    reflected that. The
    few red academics who emerged from the Great Depression were
    fired during the
    Soviet-German Non-Aggression Pact red-scare period of
    September 1939 to June
    1941, when Hitler attacked the USSR and suddenly we became
    friends.
        The radicals who emerged from the joint anti-fascist
    experience of the war,
    plus any who survived the earlier purge (I'm thinking of the
    University of
    Washington and a couple of other institutions in
    exceptionally progressive
    places) were gotten rid of in the McCarthy period.
        Until I attended this American Studies meeting, and last
    month's Rethinking
    Marxism confab at U. Mass. Amherst, with its astounding
    1,200 attendance, I
    believed that left-of-center academics were exclusively
    people who had come out
    of the sixties. But both these meetings made it clear to me
    that there is a
    substantial number who, whether starting from the generally
    less spectacular
    activisms of the 70s through 90s or simply from honest
    intellectual and, I would
    say, morally motivated inquiry, have arrived at radical
    convictions since then.
        I'm glad to have lived to see the day.

    William Mandel