[sixties-l] re: racism

From: PNFPNF@aol.com
Date: 10/14/00

    I am sorry if Carroll Cox or others here may find, in my hesitance to believe
    that only Israelis were responsible for beginning the current violence, and
    my insistence on a distinction between Israeli people and various portions of
    the Israeli government, an unawareness of the racism in Zionism.  To the
    contrary.  Actually, my position on this is close to that of the Women in
    Black, who, I am happy to say, had--and received good local coverage for--a
    fine rally at the Israel Bonds office in S.F. this evening (as for my general
    position of the issue, cf. my article in a late-Oct. or early-Nov. 1973 issue
    of the Berkeley Barb, which ended with a line something like "I would be out
    there between both the lines, I guess, shouting 'YOU are not each other's
    enemies!' ... " ) Part of my point in that article was there is indeed an
    anti-semitism toward both Jews and Arabs that gets expressed in--it was in
    the television anchors' resigned-shrug-delivery of "Violence broke out again
    today between..."--the general US (and European) culture.
          But of course it's not just anti-semitism.  It's the same "south of the
    Rio Grande" "little brown ones" "yellow menace" etc. of My Lai--and of
    Hiroshima, Wounded Knee, Auschwitz, and the rest.
            --So if I seem a bit insistent that these persons are people, guys,
    this is why.
    Paula