Re: [sixties-l] Re: student organizing...

From: William M Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: 10/10/00

    You write that hardly anyone was able to predict the explosion of student activism of
    the '60s. I did not predict it, but I believe I recognized its signifiance earlier than
    anyone else, as far as I can determine. You will find the documentation in the chapter,
    "Honorable Beaters of Children..." in my autobiography, Saying No To Power,
    particularly pp. 373-374. Almost immediately after the San Francisco HUAC hearing in
    1960, I wrote Bill Sennett, a veteran of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade: "It is important
    for your group to know that a new movement is under way that, I am absolutely
    convinced, will have a major impact on American life in the years just ahead....This is
    not a movement led by any traditional Left party, although these students obviously
    have very advanced ideas in the major areas of social life."
         Quoting my book: "A month later a pamphlet called Campus Rebels appeared, written
    by Al Richmond, editor of the Communist People's World. He had interviewed me and
    quoted me anonymously, thus:
        "'An older radical, who is acquainted with student leaders, said this movement
    might well spearhead a progressive democratic revival in American life, filling a
    vacuum that he believes has been created by the abdication of labor leadership and the
    ineffectiveness of existing radical groups.'"
                                                                    William Mandel