Re: [sixties-l] Mercy for a Terrorist? [SLA]

From: Carrol Cox (cbcox@ilstu.edu)
Date: 10/10/00

    Jeffrey Blankfort wrote:

    > Ron Jacobs' post to DH accurately describes both the atmosphere at the
    > time that drew white activists into ranks of groups such as the SLA and
    > the response to the SLA from those in a position to evaluate and then
    > reject its claims to legitimacy as a "revolutionary" organization.
    >
    > First, from certain available pieces of public evidence, there were
    > genuine questions as to whether or not this was a government-instigated
    > operation designed to both discredit and to split the left,

    That was my response at the time -- and I think I remember the argument being made in
    at least some movement sources -- The *Guardian*?? And of course there is a long
    history of terrorist groups being organized and/or heavily infiltrated by police. Am I
    correct in my memory that one of the groups which organized the assassination of the
    Grand Duke in Russia had a majority of Czarist Secret Police in its membership???

    Incidentally, there is nothing to be gained by polemicizing against "crazies" of one
    sort or another. We have to regard them as just part of the weather in which the left
    has to operate.

    Carrol