Re: [sixties-l] 3500 Protest in San Francisco

From: Jeffrey Blankfort (jab@tucradio.org)
Date: 10/09/00

    I will dismiss Horowitz's predictable "race-based" insistence on
    Hurrican Carter's guilt by pointing to the main reason why maybe 1% of
    the packed house of 2000 plus last night were black.  The organization
    that has been promoting this and other events around Mumia in the Bay
    Area has elected to remain silent in the face of the widespread
    gentrification now taking place in San Francisco's largely Latino
    Mission District and of equal importance, the remaining black ghetto of
    BayView Hunters Point, one of the most contaminated neighborhoods in the
    US where an undergound toxic fire has been burning, out of control, in
    the former Naval shipyard there, since August 16th.

    The organization's silence is based on its support for Mayor Willie
    Brown whose planning commission has given a waiver on city development
    regulations to every dot.com and phony live/work space that comes before
    it for approval, a mayor who has either fired or humiliatingly demoted,
    every city official black or white, who has had the temerity to speak up
    for the people of San Francisco. And what is this group's rational for
    supporting Brown? Simply, they say, because he is supported by a labor
    council that is in the mayor's pocket, and which, while boasting of its
    support for Mumia, has not said a word, or lifted a finger, to prevent
    the loss of apartments in this city by its dues paying members or to
    combat flagrant incidents of racism which includes the firing of a black
    crane operator because he not only objected to the hanging of an effigy
    of a black man from his crane, but that he cut it down, as well.
    Long-time activists that I know in Bayview Hunters Point, while
    supporting Mumia, see the white left as largely indifferent to their
    situation, and unfortunately, their eyesight, in this instance is 20-20.

    To give an example of the distance between this city's black community
    and the white left, there was an anniversary on Sept. 27, of an uprising
    in Hunters Point on that day in 1966 when a white cop shot (in the back)
    and killed a young black teenager who, with friends, had stolen a car,
    and had been joyriding. The dead boy had no police record. The
    neighborhood exploded, and the uprising spread to San Francisco's
    Fillmore District, the other black cetion of the City (since
    "redeveloped") and to parts of the Mission.  As a result. Gov. Pat
    Brown, Jerry's dad, called in the National Guard, and they occupied
    those sections of the city for at least a week, as I recall. But the
    memory of that event has eluded those enraptured with Berkeley in the
    60s who recall the days three years later when the National Guard was
    called in by Reagan for People's Park (which our friend Horowitz, at the
    time, considered to something akin to the Holy Grail).

    So back to the sparse attendance of African-Americans at the program for
    Mumia. Not until and unless, the "left" begins to address the needs of
    the people at the grassroots, by going to them, not expecting them to
    weave their way through the gauntlet of left newsvenders, and come to
    us, will we have the possibility of creating a movement that Mumia
    himself envisions. It ain't happening now.

    Jeff Blankfort