Re: [sixties-l] GI coffee houses & anti war publications

From: Jerry West (record@island.net)
Date: 10/08/00

    jo grant wrote:

    In the Anthology "Voices from the Underground: Volume 1--Insider
    Histories of the Vietnam Era Underground Press" there are two bios of
    anti war newspapers published and distributed by military personnel.

    JW reply:

    In 1975 I wrote an honor's thesis at Berkeley on the anti-Vietnam War
    Movement in Japan titled "GI JOIN US".  It covers the early history of
    SEMPER FI, an underground newspaper written and edited by GIs at the
    Marine Corps Air Station in Iwakuni.  It is available at the Bancroft
    Library at Cal and I also have the first part of it transcribed into
    digital format and would be happy to pass it on to anyone interested.

    The GIs at Iwakuni received their primary civilian support from the
    Japanese peace group Beheiren, and also support from the Japanese
    Christian Church, the Fellowship of Reconcilliation and other US peace
    groups.

    The GI anti-war movement in Japan, particularly in Iwakuni, received a
    fair amount of coverage in the Japanese press, both newspapers and
    magazines.

    --
    Jerry West
    Editor/publisher/janitor