Re: [sixties-l] Evidence that "the times are a changing"?

From: William M Mandel (wmmmandel@earthlink.net)
Date: 10/08/00

    Tom Nagy doesn't recall a previous Israeli massacre that provoked reaction
    in the U.S. as extensive as last week's.
        When Menachem Begin conducted his aerial bombing campaign against
    Beirut, on the excuse that it was sheltering Arafat's forces, two women at
    KPFA, one a Lebanese (then the only Arab associated with the station, who
    had hitherto confined herself to convincing the world that Arabs are human
    by playing their music; she is married to a Jew) and a South African Jew,
    both friends of mine, drew up a petition signed "Menachem Begin Does Not
    Speak For Us." It was signed by four hundred San Francisco Bay Area Jews, of
    whom not more than ten per cent were Left in any sense. Published as a large
    ad in the S.F. Chronicle and then in the New York Times, it was the first
    ever expression of Jewish opposition to Israeli military policy taken
    outside Jewish circles as such. That was the beginning of the constantly
    broadening public opposition to Israeli policy among American Jews, just now
    given particular publicity by the statement of Rabbi Michael Lerner, who
    long ago was a leader of the Free Speech Movement at UC Berkeley.
                                                                    William
    Mandel